Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to make custom overlay guides for FCP X?

Hi,

I'm trying to make a simple FCP X effect plugin that would overlay a custom set of guides (1 px wide horizontal and vertical lines) over video clips in FCP X. I have no problem publishing the effect to FCP X but I can't figure out how to make the guides stay fixed while I change the position of the video clip underneath.

How do I make my overlay guides effect stay in place?

Please help.

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X El Capitan (10.11.3)

Posted on Apr 16, 2016 5:31 PM

7 replies

Apr 18, 2016 2:26 AM in response to fox_m

Well, what I basically need is a set of guides that I can quickly switch on and off to adjust my video clip to. The way I do this now is that I have a connected clip with the overlay guides above my timeline (my main story line) but that's a not very practical solution (as other connected clips tend to get inserted above the overlay clip and I constantly have to move them down.)

As I understand both Titles and Generators can't be applied to a video clip – i.e. I would have to use them as a connected clip as well, which beats the purpose.

Apr 18, 2016 10:32 AM in response to Myslnik

You can't use the Transform controls in FCPX - those will move everything. To move only your video source under a stationary grid, publish the Transform > Position parameters for the Effect Source layer. You could also make an OnScreen Control to move the video layer (or use it for the grid layer). If you need help with that, let me know.

How to make custom overlay guides for FCP X?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.