Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Genius not working (iTunes 12.3.3.17)

Hello

I am a big fan of the Genius feature on iTunes, however the last couple of days I have noticed the option to create aGenius playlist from a song (pressing the (...) button next to a track) has a "No Genius Suggestions" greyed out next to it. This is the case for every song in my library.

This has only happened I would say in the last 48/72 hours. This used to work very well for practically all of my music before

I have tried updating genius several times; signing in and out of iTunes; restarting my Mac a few times and nothing seems to remedy it. The option under Store to turn Genius on/off is no longer there. I do not subscribe to iTunes match but am an Apple Music subscriber

Is there anybody out there who could help? Genius playlists were my most used feature of iTunes and I am finding this incredibly frustrating

Thanks

MacBook Air (13-inch, Early 2014), OS X El Capitan (10.11.4)

Posted on Apr 16, 2016 11:37 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 2, 2017 4:51 PM

This is an issue that has been acknowledged by Apple and hopefully will be fixed soon. It primarily impacts newer music.

In my library, I can't start Genius on any song released since summer 2015.

There is no troubleshooting step you can do on your end. The only thing you can do is keep iTunes up to date and update Genius manually from time to time.

12 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 2, 2017 4:51 PM in response to ragingdave

This is an issue that has been acknowledged by Apple and hopefully will be fixed soon. It primarily impacts newer music.

In my library, I can't start Genius on any song released since summer 2015.

There is no troubleshooting step you can do on your end. The only thing you can do is keep iTunes up to date and update Genius manually from time to time.

Feb 14, 2017 12:48 PM in response to ragingdave

I think I can help you with still creating a Genius playlist in your iTunes - BUT, I am convinced there is now no way to do this on any iOS devices, i.e.. iPhone or iPod Touch. I'm hopeful that this was a glitch or mistake on Apple's last iOS update and will be corrected in the next one.

Now - in iTunes highlight any song - then at the iTunes choices across the upper top left (that's where it is on my iMac) select SONG pull down list - highlight GENIUS - then at the bottom of that list you will see SAVE AS PLAYLIST. It will immediately go to that Genius playlist. Let me know if you have any problems.

Apr 29, 2016 6:47 AM in response to ragingdave

I have the very same problem. It started once I upgraded to iTunes 12.3.3.17 and updated my Genius (until updating the Genius it worked). Now, only my oldest tunes have Genius services (start a playlist or list suggestions); all my new tunes do not regardless of how many times I have now updated the Genius. I have even downloaded some of the new tunes to see whether iTunes Genius would require a local copy of the music files to no avail.

It also baffles me that so few people are complaining about this or having this problem!

Any help would be lovely. Thank you.

ZP

Apr 30, 2016 9:42 AM in response to ragingdave

Just for ha-ha's, I logged out of the store and guess what - "Turn off Genius" was back in the dropdown. So I turned off Genius, logged back in to the store and turned Genius back on. After it did all of it's syncing I am finding a few more options, but it still doesn't seem quite right. For example, I don't always have the option to "create genius playlist". But I did notice on one particular song I am getting more genius suggestions now. At least it's a little better than it was...

Jul 13, 2016 5:10 AM in response to amaral

This is a travesty in my opinion. iTunes Genius was something i used on a daily basis! How could they basically remove this feature for apple music? Using Stations is not an option due to the fact that The only 2 reasons i use iTunes instead of Spotify is play counts and smart playlist; when listening to radio stations, iTunes doesn't add play counts if you have that song in your library.

Genius not working (iTunes 12.3.3.17)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.