Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Problem with text formatting shortcuts

Hi all,

I've been having a problem with the latest version of pages. When I go to format a new line (no text yet typed) with the keyboard shortcuts cmd + b / u / i pages will insert a highlighted paragraph symbol so that when I type the formatting disappears as soon as I start typing. The only way to prevent this from happening is to click or press the back arrow so that the highlighted paragraph symbol disappears. It's annoying to have to do this every time so I've reported it to apple but in the mean time I was hoping someone could provide a solution and/or shed some light on why this problem happens. Strangely it doesn't happen right at the very bottom of the document.

Thanks in advance.

Mac mini, OS X El Capitan (10.11.4)

Posted on Apr 17, 2016 2:48 AM

4 replies

Apr 17, 2016 4:46 AM in response to lucas979797

If you use the text attribute keyboard shortcuts to style selected text, then you should avoid selection of any paragraph break (), or type anything other than the associated keyboard shortcuts. If you violate the first sentence, and type anything else, while text, or the paragraph break remains selected, then you will likely encounter a deletion event.

I would also not recommend continuous text selection that spans from one paragraph to another. Everytime that you press the return key, you introduce a paragraph break. It may prove helpful to choose Show Invisibles from the View menu to display these paragraph breaks — and avoid their selection, or learn the effective use of After Paragraph spacing.

May 11, 2016 8:47 AM in response to PeterBreis0807

Sorry, I know it's quite hard to explain. I've attached two picture to show what I mean. In the first picture I put my cursor between the two lines and then press the keyboard shortcut cmd+b to format to bold text. Instead of remaining unchanged (like it does when you just click the bold formatting in the GUI) it highlights the paragraph break. Again, it only happens when you use the keyboard shortcut and it has not always been like this in pages, only for the past couple of months.

User uploaded file

The second picture show what happens when you then type something, the paragraph disappears and the bottom line comes up to meet the second. This is expected behaviour if the paragraph is highlighted, but what's not expected is why the formatting does that in the first place.

User uploaded file

Hope that makes it clearer. Thanks for any help in advance.

Problem with text formatting shortcuts

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.