Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iTunes starts playing automatically

Hi, I have an ATV4 connected to my mac mini (latest el capitan). both are connected to my HDTV.

My HDTV is connected with standard headphone audio cable to soundbar.

The soundbar also has airplay activated through iTunes on mini.

Whenever i start the ATV4, it will start playing automatically through the soundbar the last tune i played on iTunes on my mac mini.

even if iTunes was not loaded on the mini, it will start it up and start playing the music.

very annoying. it will start and stop playing music while browsing through the ATV.

strangely enough if it is a radio stream i can not even access it from the ATV4, it shows as a playlist item in my music on ATV4 but is actually empty when i click on it. i have to go into my mac mini and iTunes to stop it from playing.

any thoughts?

Mac mini (Mid 2011), OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2)

Posted on Apr 17, 2016 6:21 AM

2 replies

Apr 17, 2016 7:49 AM in response to Sjengie

Your mini has an infrared sensor to control it with an Apple remote. The ATV4 remote puts out infared signals when using it. The mini sees the signals and thinks it is talking to it. Launching iTunes is the first thing it does.

If you don't want to use the mini with a remote, you can disable the remote sensor on the mini.

If you wish to use the mini with its remote and the ATV with its remote seperately, you need to pair each remote to its corresponding device so it ignores the other remote.

Here is a disable video:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=OlX9Reiqyy0

iTunes starts playing automatically

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.