Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

What is the maximum memory limit in El Capitan?

What is the maximum memory limit in Mac OS X Yosemite and El Capitan? In Lion the limit was 96GB and in Mavericks it was raised to 128GB. I'm wondering if the limit was raised again in Yosemite or El Capitan but I can't find anything conclusive. I'm thinking about retrofiting a Mac Pro 2009 with X5690s, and I noticed that the X5690 is capable of supporting 288GB of memory. The Mac Pro has 8 slots, so I could get 8x 32GB modules for 256GB. Intel has verified that 32GB modules are compatible with the platform, so I don't see any obvious technical reasons why this wouldn't work. The only snag is what is the maximum RAM that El Capitan can utilize?

Posted on Apr 17, 2016 12:25 PM

5 replies

Apr 18, 2016 5:15 AM in response to nbritton

As cdhw says OS X can in theory address 18 exabytes of memory i.e. 2 to the power 64. However as Lanny says the official hardware limit is 128GB of memory and that is only if you have a dual CPU configuration of Mac Pro. (The fact you are referring to a X5690 chip implies you do have a dual CPU model.)

Now while Apple do have official hardware limits for the amount of supported memory it has in some cases been found that it is possible to fit more than those official limits however this typically has been older Macs which 'officially' might have had a limit of 2GB or 4GB or memory and actually turned out to be able to do 3GB or 8GB. See http://eshop.macsales.com/memory/maxram

I am not aware of anyone having tried to fit 32GB memory modules to a Mac Pro so the fact that the Intel chip supports more than this might be promising but is no guarantee. If you can get the memory on a sale or return basis you could try it out and let us know as I am sure we would all be interested.

Note: Even the Mac Pro 2013 officially has a limit of 64GB of memory but is known to be able to do 128GB. The 2013 Mac Pro is known to work with 32GB memory but uses a different logic board, different Intel chips and different specification RAM.

What is the maximum memory limit in El Capitan?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.