Looks like no oneโ€™s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Loading picts in Safari, with latest build of 10.4.8 - Build 8N1106

First I want to apologise for posting this in the wrong spot earlier.
So I have an issue with a lot of web pages. I have a G4 dual proc, Myspace (even before I log on) and Flickr.com work fine, but last Fri I bought the MacBook 2.0 ghz, white, Intel Core 2 Duo, and most web pages it takes a long time to load (60 sec) and the picts have a blue box with a white ? mark in them. Called tech support 3 times, the 1st time the guy blamed java and when I disagreed with him he disconnected the call. Called 2 more times and they said it could be Flash or Shockwave. After trying about everything I formatted and re-installed which took 1.5 hours on this new fast machine (was a quick format not a long one - on my G4 it takes under 30 minutes!) No change. One tech told me to go to the Apple Store. When I did, they said I should have called for an appointment, but booted to an ext test drive anyway, and on his drive myspace and flickr were fine. His build was older as it was for a MacBook Intel Core Duo and mine is the Core 2 Duo. Mine is Build 8N1106.

Lastly, when I click on an app my cursor freezes for 1-2 seconds as well. Ran TechTool that came with my AppleCare plan and all tests pass.

So in conclusion, it is certainly software, my build of 10.4.8 and the other build was fine last Sat. Apple needs to be made aware of this and as tech support is closed I found all of these threads of issues others are having.
Please please help as I mostly surf and this really stinX! ๐Ÿ˜‰

PS. My firmware and SW updates are up to date. Happens in other users, other browsers, and updats the latest java, shackwave and Flash, even trashed my internet plug-ins and QT plug ins just in case. Reset PRAM, wanted to reset NVRAM but Open Firmware seems to be gone. And I reset Safari all the time when I try something new, no luck. Tried at a local coffee shop too to ensure it is not my ISP.

Again please please help me an others with this issue ASAP!

Austin_Kevin
kevin@thetechshack.com

Mac Book Intel Core 2 Duo, Mac OS X (10.4.8), Build 8N1106

Posted on Nov 30, 2006 10:11 AM

8 replies

Dec 1, 2006 8:36 AM in response to scapesuiter

I did everything on this list (installed latest UB Flash from their home page and launched Safari in Rosetta (- did not know I could do that in the get info box, good to know) and then installed Shockwave - tried it in Rosetta and in UB mode, same) but have not repaired disk permissions since before I formatted it. I just now did it but am at work with no net access on my personal Mac. I will try it from home tonight. if it works I will be super happy. ๐Ÿ˜‰ So will my wife as she uses it a lot too.

This does not address the possible HW issue I am having though with my cursor freezing up, shall I do a separate post on that? Re-cap - when I launch most any app or quit most any app, my cursor is non responsive for roughly 2 seconds, other than that is all seems to be working fine. I do not have an older build of the OS to test these issues with so it is a bit hard to find a solution on my own. This was before and after the format and everything mentioned above. Thank you so much.

Dec 2, 2006 9:51 AM in response to Austin_Kevin

Nope, did nothing. Since I went to the Apple Store and the older build of 10.4.8 worked fine, I am very much convinced we need some sort of update, or my DVD's are bad, or Java/Flash/Shockwave needs an update. Any other ideas? 8 days old now, and 2 formats (just did another tday and no change.)

Someone really needs to address this. I am a huge Mac Evangelist but this is very much annoying n 90% of the sites I visit.

Thanks.

Dec 2, 2006 11:04 AM in response to scapesuiter

How? Off the 2 install DVD's that came with my system silly. ๐Ÿ˜‰
Why? Because of all my issues Apple and friends could not get it working.

But...I found something and I feel very stupid as I am very technical with Apple products....I set my DNS to 4.2.2.2 and 4.2.2.1 and it is working for the time being. I just tested it and all is well right now. Will continue to monitor and test, but if this was it, OMG! ๐Ÿ˜‰

Can anyone tell me why quick formatting and installing (format process is like a minute, so really I'm asking about the installing) takes 1.5 hours to do, but on my G4 500 mHz system it is about 20-30 minutes? Is it that my new Intel Core 2 Dou is so new that the install DVD is not optomized or do I maybe have bad install DVD's? If this is normal then great....but with a system that is about 10 times faster than my G4, it seems crazy. ๐Ÿ˜‰ I will start a new thread for this question...as it is different, but if anyonne has a quick answer...

Kevin - Lov'n Apple 4 Life!

Dec 2, 2006 12:51 PM in response to Austin_Kevin

Hi Kevin,

Can anyone tell me why quick formatting and installing (format process is like a minute, so really I'm asking about the installing) takes 1.5 hours to do, but on my G4 500 mHz system it is about 20-30 minutes?

At a complete guess, the hard drive in your MacBook is a lot slower than those typically installed in a tower. For installations the speed of the hard drive will be the limiting factor, not the cpu so much.

Btw, for the DNS addresses, check with your ISP as to the ones they recommend. The 4.2.2.x ones are Verizon's and they do tend to be very reliable. Your ISPs may be quicker (assuming they are geographically closer to you).

Dec 3, 2006 8:33 PM in response to iBod

It was the DNS, thanks for the tip though.
The one thing is, Apple gave me my PowerBook G4 12" when I was working there and it took less than 30 minutes to format and install and the new one I just bought takes 1.5 hous, so that is not it unfortunately. But all other issues are fixe, just a re-install I will dread as I never have before. ๐Ÿ˜‰ May be that they need to optomise the installe on the new MacBook Core 2 Duo. ๐Ÿ˜‰ I'm happy now though.

Loading picts in Safari, with latest build of 10.4.8 - Build 8N1106

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.