Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Credit Card hacked while changing iTunes account info

I made a change to my iTunes and AppStore account yesterday to update my credit card information. Within 20 minutes of that activity, which was recorded as successful and confirmed by a return email from Apple, I received a "fraud alert" email from my credit card company that, before the day was over, resulted in the cancellation of that credit card account.

I've had similar experience with changing credit card information before, resulting in the same hassle with having to close and re-open the credit card account.

The first occasion was about 3 years ago. No other problems ever of this sort, except when dealing with iTunes/AppStore account. I'd say, "...Apple, you've got a security problem. The last time this happened, Apple "shined me on" with regard to the possibility could be a hack on their end. Since I have used this account extensively in the US and Europe for online transactions for the past several years with not one problem, I find it hard to believe this event was just a bad luck coincidence.

The "test transaction" has a "hand-keyed" charge at a Renaissance Hotel, with the charge originating from Hayward, Californian (about an hour's drive from Apple's headquarters). Pretty easy for the bank fraud-tracking computers to catch, since I've been outside the USA for 2 months and will be for 4 more and the bank had the travel authorization on record.

In any event, the hacked account is now closed, I have a mess to clean-up with accounts that "auto-billed" on that account, and will have a new credit card in a couple of weeks. I won't be charging anything more from Apple, that is for sure.

Forewarned is forearmed....

iPad 2, iOS 7.0.4

Posted on Apr 18, 2016 12:38 AM

2 replies

Credit Card hacked while changing iTunes account info

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.