Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

messages and icloud not responding

Platform: Late 2009 iMac, running 10.11.4.

When I try to start the Messages app, I get the iCloud login window with the colorful spinning ball of not-so-good. Eventually I see in Force Quit that it is not responding and I quit it. Rinse, repeat, same thing. Even after signing out and rebooting.

I decided to go into System Preferences -> iCloud to see what I could figure out there and while everything else I tried within System Preferences works OK, once I click on the iCloud icon, I get the spinning ball again and a non-responding System Preferences.

I ran disk utility -> first aid and nothing was reported wrong with the disk.

Ideas? Thanks in advance!!

iMac, OS X Yosemite (10.10.5)

Posted on Apr 18, 2016 5:54 AM

5 replies

Apr 18, 2016 5:33 PM in response to jjkraw

If the above doesn't work, try a restart.

Do a backup, using either Time Machine or a cloning program, to ensure files/data can be recovered. Two backups are better than one.

Try setting up another admin user account to see if the same problem continues. If Back-to-My Mac is selected in System Preferences, the Guest account will not work. The intent is to see if it is specific to one account or a system wide problem. This account can be deleted later.

Isolating an issue by using another user account

If the problem is still there, try booting into the Safe Mode using your normal account. Disconnect all peripherals except those needed for the test. Shut down the computer and then power it back up after waiting 10 seconds. Immediately after hearing the startup chime, hold down the shift key and continue to hold it until the gray Apple icon and a progress bar appear. The boot up is significantly slower than normal. This will reset some caches, forces a directory check, and disables all startup and login items, among other things. When you reboot normally, the initial reboot may be slower than normal. If the system operates normally, there may be 3rd party applications which are causing a problem. Try deleting/disabling the third party applications after a restart by using the application un-installer. For each disable/delete, you will need to restart if you don't do them all at once.

Safe Mode - About El Capitan

Safe Mode Startup – El Capitan.

Apr 18, 2016 5:33 PM in response to jjkraw

Before trying the good "bigger hammer" suggestions above, I thought I'd do a shutdown, remove power, and then start up again. I did this and was able to get into my iCloud settings in System Preferences. I signed out of iCloud and signed back in. This time, I was able to get iMessages to run and also could sign in. Success!

Except... there were a couple side-effects of doing the iCloud sign out / in. All of my Contacts were duplicated. I fixed this by using the Merge function within Contacts. I also have three copies of each calendar in Calendars now. I'll start a new thread to get some ideas on that one.

Thanks!

Apr 19, 2016 11:31 AM in response to jjkraw

Hi,

Good to hear you have made progress.

In Contacts > Preferences > Accounts there should only be one account active.

This should be your chosen sync source such as iCloud.

If you turn Off Syncing you will be asked if you want to keep the list on your Computer (it is currently in the Cloud).

If you say yes you in fact duplicate on to your Mac (as it will also sty in the Cloud).

When you turn Syncing back on AND the account that is in use may create the duplication.

Also User uploaded file for the User uploaded file Points

User uploaded file

7:30 pm Tuesday; April 19, 2016

 iMac 2.5Ghz i5 2011 (El Capitan)
 G4/1GhzDual MDD (Leopard 10.5.8)
 MacBookPro 2Gb (Snow Leopard 10.6.8)
 Mac OS X (10.6.8),
 iPhone and an iPad (2)

messages and icloud not responding

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.