Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Safari won't show Google Maps

Just recently I can't get Safari to display Google Maps - I'm using version 9.0.3. I do a Google search for Google Maps and it shows a URL of https://maps.google.co.uk but if I click on the link it translates to https://www.google.co.uk/maps and all I get is either a blank page or one that just shows the words "Google Maps" in the top left corner, with no notification that anything is wrong.

There was a suggestion in another thread that this was a problem with the DNS name servers but i already use the OpenDNS ones, and I have no problem at all with Firefox which shows the maps properly. If I copy the URL that Firefox is using into Safari I get the same result as before. What can be causing this problem?

iMac, OS X El Capitan (10.11.3), MacBook Pro. iPhone 6, iPad Air 2

Posted on Apr 18, 2016 8:53 AM

6 replies

Apr 19, 2016 6:51 AM in response to RobbieSnr

Try running the combo update. It contains a newer version of Safari, which may resolve the problem.

10.11.4 Combo Update

Do a backup, using either Time Machine or a cloning program, to ensure files/data can be recovered. Two backups are better than one.

Try setting up another admin user account to see if the same problem continues. If Back-to-My Mac is selected in System Preferences, the Guest account will not work. The intent is to see if it is specific to one account or a system wide problem. This account can be deleted later.

Isolating an issue by using another user account

If the problem is still there, try booting into the Safe Mode using your normal account. Disconnect all peripherals except those needed for the test. Shut down the computer and then power it back up after waiting 10 seconds. Immediately after hearing the startup chime, hold down the shift key and continue to hold it until the gray Apple icon and a progress bar appear. The boot up is significantly slower than normal. This will reset some caches, forces a directory check, and disables all startup and login items, among other things. When you reboot normally, the initial reboot may be slower than normal. If the system operates normally, there may be 3rd party applications which are causing a problem. Try deleting/disabling the third party applications after a restart by using the application un-installer. For each disable/delete, you will need to restart if you don't do them all at once.

Safe Mode - About El Capitan

Safe Mode Startup – El Capitan.

Apr 21, 2016 3:44 PM in response to Eric Root

Many thanks for you reply.

I ran the combo update but it made no difference, and signing on as Guest was the same. In Safe Mode Safari did show the Google Maps. i did find that when I restarted normally the maps did reappear. However when i tried to open another page in Safari to show the maps I had the old problem.

I'm now trying to see if I can find which application might be causing this problem. This will take some time as i have quite a number of other apps.

Apr 25, 2016 9:14 AM in response to Eric Root

Hi Eric

Well I found that turning off my Kaspersky Internet Security solved my problem, and that if I added https://google.co.uk/maps to the Trusted Zones in the Threats section of KIS's Preferences this allowed me to see the Google Maps with KIS running. Kaspersky didn't show up any errors or problems so I've no idea why it prevented the maps from showing. It's odd that KIS prevented this in Safari but not in Firefox.

I did download Etrecheck and ran it. It showed that there were 3 Adware files which I've removed, one of them was an Amazon one, but I still had the problem if I ran KIS without the entry in the Trusted Zone. I have kept a copy of the Etrecheck output but I don't suppose that it will explain why KIS is preventing me from seeing the Google Maps in Safari and I need to ask KIS what the problem is. I've not yet searched their support files to see if there's any mention of this there. I'm going off on holiday for a few days so will leave this until I return.

Eric (Robertson)

Apr 29, 2016 3:25 PM in response to RobbieSnr

I've now had a look at the Kaspersky Forum, and others have had the same problem with Kaspersky Internet Security for Mac where Google Maps won't display in Safari although they will in Firefox. There is a similar problem trying to load videos in Safari where a black rectangle appears where the video should be. This problem has already been raised with Kaspersky but there's no mention yet of a solution.

May 4, 2016 4:26 AM in response to RobbieSnr

I've been in touch with Kaspersky Support and they know there's a problem and they say they will be releasing a patch update in the upcoming weeks.

There is a workaround and for the 2016 Kaspersky Internet Security for Mac the following seems to have worked:

1. Open 'Kaspersky';

2. At the top-left of the Mac (beside the Apple logo), click on 'Kaspersky Internet Security';

3. Choose 'Preferences';

4. Then click on the tab 'Protection';

5. Towards the bottom uncheck 'Check Secure Connections'.

There is a similar workaround for the 2015 version (which I've not tried):

1. Open “Kaspersky“.

2. Click on "Kaspersky Internet Security" at the top-left of your Mac screen.

3. Click on “Preferences“ → “Additional” → “Network” → uncheck “Scan encrypted connections”.

Hope that helps those that are having this problem.

Safari won't show Google Maps

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.