Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I lost two of my completed movies

I update iMovie and then a few days later I reorganizing the events folders (moving some clips to different event folders). Later that day I realized that two of the movies that I had finished editing were gone! I tried to undo the actions but since I had already x-ed off of iMovie I couldn't. I really hope there is a way I can get them back.

iMac

Posted on Apr 18, 2016 12:38 PM

8 replies

Apr 19, 2016 10:56 AM in response to Ally T.

The current version of iMovie (10.1.1) holds projects in their own event so I would doubt that moving clips from one event to another would cause you to lose projects. It may be a library corruption if you are sure that the projects were in the project window after you updated iMovie. What version did you update from? What I would suggest to try is open your Movies folder and locate the iMovie Library folder. Right click on it and choose Show Package Contents. In the window that open see if your missing projects are there. There should be a folder for each project. Within that folder you should see several files one of which is CurrentVersion.imovieevent. Be very careful to not change anything in the Contents package you have opened as it could cause loss of the library. Post back what you find.

Apr 19, 2016 5:35 PM in response to Jim Wanamaker

Yes, I'm sure the projects were there after I updated iMovie. I updated it from the 9.0.9 version.

My missing projects are in the Movies folder! In the folders for the (not-so) missing projects I saw an Original Media file, a Renders file and the CurrentVersion.imovieevent file. I was verycareful notto change anything in the folders.

You wanted me to open the CurrentVersion.imovieevent file, right? Well, I did and I saw just a bunch of letters and numbers.

Apr 19, 2016 6:04 PM in response to Ally T.

Sorry, no I did not intend for you to open the CurrentVersion file. What I wanted to confirm was that your missing projects were in the library package which I believe you say they were. The next thing to try, after backing up the iMovie library package for safety, is to open the package and delete the CurrentVersion.flexolibrary file. This is the database file and iMovie will rebuild it. Close iMovie and restart your computer and relaunch iMovie and see if your projects appear. When you say the missing projects are in the Movies folder I assume you mean in the iMovie library package. If they are really in the Movies Folder and not in the library package then they never updated from iMovie 9.0.9. Perhaps a screenshot would help to make sure we are talking about the same thing.

Apr 28, 2016 7:28 PM in response to Ally T.

I have been following this thread because I have the same problem as Ally T. My MacBook Pro is a late 2011 model (2.4 GHz, Intel I7 Processor w/4 GB of Memory) On 3/31/2016, I upgraded the OS from its original OS X Lion version to the new El Capitan OS (Ver. 10.11.4). Very soon after the upgrade, I began experiencing a number of problems with the iMovie application, including the most recent - missing iMovie project files. After launching iMovie, then clicking on the "Projects" button, all I get is a black screen with 2 icons in the center of the screen (create new movie / create new trailer). I have followed Jim W's advice to Ally T and deleted the "CurrentVersion.flexolibrary" file from my movies folder (and yes, all of my missing project files were/are also in that same folder). I then restarted my Mac, and launched iMovie. When I clicked on the "Projects" button, the same black screen appeared with the same "New Movie / New Trailer" icons in the center of the screen, but no Project files are shown / listed. I am seriously contemplating uninstalling iMovie and then attempting to re-install it from my external Time Machine backup.. Any advice as to what my next step should be will be greatly appreciated.

Bud D

Apr 28, 2016 8:00 PM in response to budfmwcharlton

Hi Bud, iMovie 10.1.2 was released today. I would upgrade and see if that helps. If you have the same problem launch imovie with the command and option keys depressed and select to delete preferences. You can also create a test project and see if that appears in the projects window.In case your existing library is corrupted create a new library and a new test project and see how it goes.

I lost two of my completed movies

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.