Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Importing photos from older iPod Nano(Gen 5)

Photos was synced to iPod using a PC/iTunes.

The PC was later stolen and now iTunes only wants to overwrite the iPod every time I try to sync it.

Ideally I'd simply like to copy photos over to PC/laptop(outside iTunes - for fear of deleting the photos which now only exist on the iPod Nano)

Have search for solutions but all seem to involde purchasing 3rd party software solutions.

Does Apple/iTunes/iPod really not allow for exporting/transferring photos from Apple device without the original iTunes-installation??

iPod nano

Posted on Apr 18, 2016 3:06 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 19, 2016 4:13 AM

Photos on the iPod are stored in a particular way. During syncing, iTunes converts the photos to fit the iPod's small screen and stores the data in a special database format. This is to optimize how the iPod operates when showing the photos and to save storage space on the iPod. Like with other types of media, iTunes syncing in generally in one direction only, from iTunes library to iPod. You cannot use iTunes to retrieve photos on the iPod.

NOTE: The exception is IF you had a setting enabled when syncing the photos to the iPod. There is a setting on the iPod's Photos settings screen in iTunes (where you set up syncing for photos) to Include full-resolution photos. IF that setting was checked when you synced the photos to the iPod, you can find and retrieve the original image files in the Photos folder on the iPod storage (with disk use enabled), using your computer's file manager.

There may be third-party utilities that can retrieve individual photos from the iPod. However, the photos are typically lower-resolution versions of the original full resolution photos, because they were converted during syncing for the iPod's small screen.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 19, 2016 4:13 AM in response to pganders

Photos on the iPod are stored in a particular way. During syncing, iTunes converts the photos to fit the iPod's small screen and stores the data in a special database format. This is to optimize how the iPod operates when showing the photos and to save storage space on the iPod. Like with other types of media, iTunes syncing in generally in one direction only, from iTunes library to iPod. You cannot use iTunes to retrieve photos on the iPod.

NOTE: The exception is IF you had a setting enabled when syncing the photos to the iPod. There is a setting on the iPod's Photos settings screen in iTunes (where you set up syncing for photos) to Include full-resolution photos. IF that setting was checked when you synced the photos to the iPod, you can find and retrieve the original image files in the Photos folder on the iPod storage (with disk use enabled), using your computer's file manager.

There may be third-party utilities that can retrieve individual photos from the iPod. However, the photos are typically lower-resolution versions of the original full resolution photos, because they were converted during syncing for the iPod's small screen.

Apr 19, 2016 4:20 AM in response to Kenichi Watanabe

Thank you for your answer.
This is probably correct(I don't know). However my issue is that I don't have the laptop where the original photos are atored.
I would therefor very much like to get the photos out of the iPod(in whatever resolution I can get) as they are now the only representation of the photos I have.

Is there any way to read/extract photoes from the iPod "special database format"??

Importing photos from older iPod Nano(Gen 5)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.