Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMac harware error code 4MEM/9/40000000

Late 2009 iMac 27" i7, harware error code- 4MEM/9/40000000:0xb9772118 - Just wondering if anyone might have an idea what this code refers to?

Posted on Apr 18, 2016 5:08 PM

13 replies

Apr 23, 2016 12:13 PM in response to SeaPapp

Long story. Started by trying to update from 10.6.8 to 10.11.14. No joy. Finally reformatted then attempted to install 10.11.4 from a bootable USB and directly from the app store while in disk utilities. No luck. Ran hardware test when it came back with that error code. Took the computer into the Apple store- it passed their hardware test and then loaded up El Capitan just fine. Came home with it and it was all working great until I started loading my stuff back onto it and it crashed. Came up with a message that said something like "your computer restarted because it encountered a problem (I don't recall the exact message). Ran the hardware test again and it came back with same error message. I then bought new RAM (16GB from OWC). Installed it yesterday and it passed the hardware test no problem now. But it will not boot up. I can't get it to boot into recovery mode, safe mode...nothing. It just starts to boot with the status bar just below the Apple logo then shuts off. Weird.

May 11, 2016 7:30 PM in response to SeaPapp

OK, so update---thanks for the feedback here. In addition to the new 16 GB RAM from OWC, I cracked into this thing and replaced that PRAM battery and decided to throw in an SSD from OWC while I was in there. Not that I think the HHD was bad, but figured I may as well replace it. Installed 10.11.4 no problem and this 6 year old machine runs literally better than it did when it was new. Fast, quiet, and cooler. I'm not sure if the problem was the battery itself, the RAM, or a combo of both, but either way it runs great now. Thanks guys.

May 12, 2016 10:00 AM in response to SeaPapp

Yes its located on the backside. iFixit.com is great -they have detailed steps on how do do this. It was a near complete tear down, but really not bad at all. Once I had the logic board unscrewed and removed, I found I could just leave all the backside connections connected and simply tilt the board up from one end exposing the battery. Pop it out and slip in the new one, put it all back together again. I found labelling all the connections that were necessary to unplug with masking tap and a pen made it a breeze going back together by eliminating the possible mix up on the reassembly. It all worked out great thank goodness. Blew out the dust while I was in there too. Start to finish it took about 2 hrs and little over 200 bucks, I feel like I have a new computer.

iMac harware error code 4MEM/9/40000000

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.