Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Unable to browse to sites other than ISP's homepage on AirPort Time Capsule

I recently moved my Airport Time Capsule to a new location in my home and have not been able to connect to it well since the move. I contacted my ISP (Brighthouse Networks). They came out and took a look and got everything up and running yesterday for a little while but it went down some time later. They came back out again today and fooled around with their components again but were unable to get my wireless up and running again. I am currently able to access the full internet if I hard-wire into my modem. I have a Motorola/Arris Surfboard SB6141.

Since their visit today, I have reset my modem several times, my router a few more times, and even factor reset both devices. I have gone as far as setting up a brand new wireless network on the Airport. The settings suggest everything are good to go but I am only able to navigate to Brighthouse's website. Any other site just never loads. BHN is of course unable to give me any support. I feel there may be router settings that need to be adjusted but I have no idea. Anyone else have this issue?

Airport Time Capsule 802.11ac, OS X El Capitan (10.11.4)

Posted on Apr 18, 2016 7:18 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 18, 2016 11:15 PM

You're able to access the internet via your Mac when connected to the modem via Ethernet.

With your Mac connected to the modem via ethernet, Open System Preferences>Network>Ethernet and take note of;

• IP Address
  • Subnet Mask
  • Router
  • DNS Server

Revert back to what I'm assuming your normal configuration is, having your AirPort connected to your cable modem via Ethernet.

Connect to your AirPort via AirPort Utility, under the Internet tab, in this configuration you have it would be set to DHCP or Static if you have preferred IP, make the necessary changes and reboot.

When your AirPort is back on, connect to your AirPort via AirPort Utility, under the Internet tab again, and check to see what details it has and compare to what you took note of earlier.

• IP Address (this will be different from what you noted down)
  • Subnet Mask (the same)
  • Router (the same)
  • DNS Server (the same)

If all above is correct then you should have internet connectivity. If not, then your Mac may not be set to DHCP under WiFi in Network Preferences.

Navigate to System Preferences>Network>WiFi>Advanced>TCP/IP>Configure IPv4: Using DHCP, Apply the settings then Turn Wi-Fi off then back on.

Reconnect to your AirPort, does it work?

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 18, 2016 11:15 PM in response to risofritto

You're able to access the internet via your Mac when connected to the modem via Ethernet.

With your Mac connected to the modem via ethernet, Open System Preferences>Network>Ethernet and take note of;

• IP Address
  • Subnet Mask
  • Router
  • DNS Server

Revert back to what I'm assuming your normal configuration is, having your AirPort connected to your cable modem via Ethernet.

Connect to your AirPort via AirPort Utility, under the Internet tab, in this configuration you have it would be set to DHCP or Static if you have preferred IP, make the necessary changes and reboot.

When your AirPort is back on, connect to your AirPort via AirPort Utility, under the Internet tab again, and check to see what details it has and compare to what you took note of earlier.

• IP Address (this will be different from what you noted down)
  • Subnet Mask (the same)
  • Router (the same)
  • DNS Server (the same)

If all above is correct then you should have internet connectivity. If not, then your Mac may not be set to DHCP under WiFi in Network Preferences.

Navigate to System Preferences>Network>WiFi>Advanced>TCP/IP>Configure IPv4: Using DHCP, Apply the settings then Turn Wi-Fi off then back on.

Reconnect to your AirPort, does it work?

Apr 19, 2016 9:28 AM in response to risofritto

The Arris/Motorola SB61XX series of modems are incompatible with the 802.11ac AirPort base stations (potentially, the 802.11n models as well.) Neither are bad in themselves, they just don't "play nice" together.

Unfortunately, you are left with a few undesirable choices:

• Leave it as is and continue to have the disconnects.
  • Replace the modem. I would suggest those make by either Cisco or Zoom ... but, whatever you choose, make sure your ISP supports it.
  • Replace the Time Capsule with a non-Apple router.

Unable to browse to sites other than ISP's homepage on AirPort Time Capsule

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.