Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

ibooks doesn't work on ios 9.3 or 9.3.1! ideas for fixing?

Hello guys,

since I updated my iphone 6 to ios 9.3 or also 9.3.1 ibooks is completly unuseable. Since i can't jump back to ios 9.2 anymore I really need to fix this. I have a rather large collection of PDFs, ebooks (not bought via itunes) and general epub data. Before the update i never had problems with ibooks whatsoever, even though the collection was big.

The problem is now:

1. I can't open any books in ibooks.

- they are there, i can see them but clicking on them does nothing. once every blue moon one might open but breaks down very fast again.

2. the round loading sign more or less never disappears

- i already let the sign load to its hearts content for a few hours till it stops but when you dare to use the app then it happens again

3. i can't delete any books/data in ibooks directly anymore

- when the loading sign stops and i attempt to delete sth. i can go through the deleting motions but after clicking on deleting nothing happens. the data is still there.

4. around 95% of the book covers/data covers are missing

- there are just the white boxes instead

- sometimes the covers will appear again when i wait really long for it, but when i scroll past them and then back ibooks "forgot" everything about this book again.

The problem also didn't disappear when using a new phone btw. I tried everything again with a new iphone 6s. still no change. it has to be a software bug.

Any ideas what i could do?

What I already tried:

1. on/off

2. hard reset

3. deleting everything and putting it back on (took hours and no change)

4. configure it as a new phone

5. deleting all settings (without deleting the media)

6. deleting everything apple/itunes/itunes mediathek from my pc and downloading it anew (which meant making the whole mediathek anew)

7. switching between backups

Could apple please do sth. about it?!

iPhone 6, iOS 9.3, ibooks, snyching

Posted on Apr 19, 2016 1:52 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 23, 2016 6:07 AM

UPDATE

to all of you who read my post and have the same issues: i got asked by an apple employee for the ibooks crash logs and sent them to him. which is great because I more or less expected to be ignored.

so lets all cross our fingers that the issue will be solved very soon and he will contact me again (since I would post the problem solution for you guys out there on here).

36 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 23, 2016 6:07 AM in response to Collorelle

UPDATE

to all of you who read my post and have the same issues: i got asked by an apple employee for the ibooks crash logs and sent them to him. which is great because I more or less expected to be ignored.

so lets all cross our fingers that the issue will be solved very soon and he will contact me again (since I would post the problem solution for you guys out there on here).

Apr 29, 2016 6:04 AM in response to Collorelle

UPDATE 2

I haven't heard anything back from the apple employee since I sent them a reply. Not even a message that they got the data or anything.

Since all this trouble I joined the beta testing programm where i hoped the issue might be solved. don't bother doing the same. i joined since ios 9.3.2 and the last beta i downloaded was ios 9.3.2 beta 3. ibooks still doesn't work. i sent a bunch of feedback concerning ibooks but never got a reaction.

Of course i also contacted the apple hotline multiple times where i was in contact with 3 employees. got no solution. got connected to the technical supervisor who said he would care for a solution but hasn't called back in over a week (even though it was garantied to get a call back in 48 hours) and doesn't react to my mail either.

I am ******* tired of this ****. i paid for the phone as much as for a good laptop! at least let me sign back to ios 9.2 when you break parts of my phone!

it would have been nice to get some kind of reaction like a date when this **** is going to be fixed for example. it is not like I am alone with this issue. there are at least a few hundred people on here who have the same issue. the dark figure will be bigger.

May 3, 2016 12:59 PM in response to Collorelle

UPDATE 3

OMG PLEASE GUYS. IT CAN'T GO ON LIKE THIS. i just downloaded the latest beta version.

As i mentioned i joined the beta program after ios 9.3 screwed ibooks over and ios 9.3.1 didn't fix the issue as i had hoped. I thought might as well load beta 4 and tell you wether it brought us the hoped solution.

The conclusion: everything in ibooks is still as broken as before. So you guys still don't need to join.

I mean do you guys know how many ibooks crash log data i got on my laptop? Just three bad days brought nearly hundres logs. Soon there will be the final version of ios 9.3.2 and very soon ios 10 but ibooks still hasn't been fixed. I am just SO glad that the game store **** is getting fixed with a finger snap.

I don't even care about the latest ios version, i would gladly go back to the old version (ios 9.2.1) as long as ibooks works.

May 4, 2016 12:36 PM in response to gab.vcor

Well, for getting your data back in ibooks it looks really bad right now but as for getting the data back in general you have good chances as long as you have a backup file. With that file you should be able to get everything back, i guess.

you would have to google for the software for it though and maybe pay for it. I think sth called dr phone or so should help you out. But ibooks itself won't help you at the moment. We still have to wait for a miracle

May 11, 2016 11:30 AM in response to Collorelle

UPDATE 4

1. The apple employee that contacted me, because of this here, hasn't gotten back to me till this day.

2. The one technical supervisor that was meant to solve the problem with me (that i was connected to after no one else could help me) ignored me also till this day. No call back, no reaction to my mail. I used all contact choices he gave me but nope...

3. i contacted the hotline again. Now i have a new employee that is helping with the case. the engineers shall solve the issue. they collected my ibooks crash logs, wanted that i make videos showing the mistake (what was a ****-ton of work and time consuming btw and well it's not like it's my job...) and i should give them the sysdiagnostic logs. Since i made a mistake when sending the syslogs i need a new link from the employee. I guess i will get one on monday.

4. Timewise he said it could take a day to solve the issue or 1-2 weeks. I will tell you how it's going but you guys HAVE to react too. if more people get annoying and want the mistake solved, we have a much better chance. But let's be realistic, a month sounds more like it in the best case scenario or i never get a feedback in the worst case.

May 17, 2016 7:22 AM in response to Collorelle

UPDATE 5

On the 13th May my advisor got the last data from me.

So put the max. of two weeks on top of that for the engineer work - I should get a feedback on the 27th May (well maybe more like the 31. May since we got two holidays here).

If I don't get a phone call till then I will stalk them till sb. responds.

BTW: the latest ios 9.3.2 update for the public didn't solve the issue. it would be great if some americans would contact the apple support so we get the solution on the big turf.

May 19, 2016 3:38 PM in response to Collorelle

No, you can't talk to anyone at Apple. You submit a form to their "feedback" link telling them the software is screwed up and that is it. No acknowledgement, no contact, no fix unless they deign to do so down the road. If the problem is HARDWARE, then you can open a repair ticket, but that is not available for a software bug.

May 20, 2016 2:58 AM in response to romad

Um, sorry but that is NOT true at ALL.

But I will help you. And if others thought the way, them too. You went at it the wrong way.

1. go on https://getsupport.apple.com/

2. click on the device that has the problem. Here you click on iPhone or ipad.

3. You click on the issue itself you have. Like to what topic it belongs. In our case it is ios and applications.

4. You narrow the issue farther down and click on the app doesn't work as expected field.

5. Then you get asked how you want to be contacted i.e. via phone call, chat etc. let's click on phone call.

6. you get asked for you imei or meid number (you easily find under info in your phone)

7. you click on the exception version (YOU DO NOT HAVE TO PAY BECAUSE THE UPDATE ****** UP) and choose the exception that fits you, which would be the update reasoning.

8. The rest is self explanatory.

=> all of this is FREE, takes 1min 30 sec at max to get done and IS ALSO FOR BUGS OR WHATEVER ISSUES YOU HAVE SINCE THE UPDATE.

SO come on guys it isn't that hard to get in touch.

May 20, 2016 11:14 AM in response to romad

DUDE NO! THAT IS NOT TRUE! AND APPARENTLY YOU DIDN't READ WHAT I WROTE.

Look into point number 7!!!!!

Geez, I don't have any warranty left (be it for software or hardware). For nearly a year btw.

I used the apple support more than five times (in the course of what...2 months?) because of the update **** up. I didn't have to pay ****. You don't have to have any warranty left. You would ONLY be charged if you had some regular issue but because you have issues since you updated you fall under an exception rule that makes using the support FREE! No matter the warranty.

I mean apple themselves explains that stuff eventually, if you follow the steps i wrote down. They are even forced to do it for free because of legal reasons. in simple terms: since they "broke" it, they have to fix it. Otherwise one could easily sue them.

You either clicked on sth wrong when trying to get support OR you had very bad luck the first time getting in touch, where you got an idiot on the phone that was lazy/stupid/a newbie and told you ****. You should try again.

ibooks doesn't work on ios 9.3 or 9.3.1! ideas for fixing?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.