Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Any fix for the iPhone 6 "incorrect password" WIFI error?

Began shortly after iOS 9 update. We have several customers experiencing the same issue with iPhones and iPads.

User uploaded file

Yes, we have been meticulously entering the correct password. We are aware it is case sensitive.

Apparently, this is a some sort of strange intermittent issue. My kid's MX5X2LL/A iPhone 6 will connect to WIFI for a week or two, then completely "forget" the passwords to every single wireless network it ever connected to with no notification or no warning. Then, a week or two later, miraculously connect to WIFI once again. This bizarre bug is driving us bananas - especially with all the data overages. It all seemed to begin upon upgrading to iOS 9. Here's what we've done since September:

• upgraded to iOS 9.1 and subsequent 9.1 updates

• re-upgraded to iOS 9.3.1

• erased and reset network settings at least 12 times

• erased and reset entire phone three times

• reset all wireless routers, changed SSIDs, changed passwords

A few things that did seem to give us at least some sort of progress, yet still unacceptable:

• disabled find my iphone - connected to WIFI immediately, then lost it again about a week later

• connected to Bright House public WIFI hotspot, although not through typical WIFI interface

• connected to two 5G wireless networks, even though it would not connect to the same network's 2G with same or different passwords

Signal strength is great everywhere. I've checked all the obvious and not so obvious stuff. Running a hotspot with no password is dangerous and not an option. It's not thermal, because this happens from a cold start. The only thing I can come up with is a firmware discrepancy in authentication in the WIFI chip used on MX5X2LL/A. Vendors are swapped mid-model in all cell phones, computers, and tablets, and it's usually transparent, so there may be a vendor-specific problem Apple is not aware of.

Apple support has been unhelpful and unfortunately pompous as usual, repeatedly declining there is a problem, and requesting that I send my phone in for a paid out-of-warranty service or replacement, which is NOT a solution, thanks. There are at least hundreds if not thousands of people posting here who have the SAME EXACT PROBLEM. My last post was deleted because some Apple genius somehow surmised there was funny business going on, but I can assure you and prove it has NOT EVER been hacked, cracked, unlocked, or jailbroken, whatever that means. Perhaps they have a mandate to delete posts that indicate their hardware may not "just work."

<Edited by Host>

iPhone 6, iOS 9.2.1, null

Posted on Apr 19, 2016 6:24 AM

26 replies

Mar 26, 2017 3:54 PM in response to chuckfresh

I switch from an old router to a NETGEAR AC1900 and I was getting the exact error each time I tried to join my network form my iPhone 6 (iOS ver. 10.2.1). My Windows devices worked fine. After playing with it for an hour, I simply changed my router password from an alphanumeric mix to jsut numeric and it connected. Not sure what the problem is with alphanumeric, but my Apple devices didn't like it.

Mar 27, 2017 6:54 AM in response to troyfromsmyrna

We see that a lot, even with Macbooks, iPads, and PCs. One device develops an encryption error and refuses to connect to a wireless network until it's wiped and reset. It's an anomaly with no easy fix. This wasn't the case with these stupid iPhones. Tried SEVERAL different 2.4 GHz networks in various locations. The only thing that worked was 5 GHz wireless networks. It's a vendor bug in certain wireless chips that is incompatible with iOS 10.

Apr 22, 2016 8:28 AM in response to ZikzakCorp

Sweet lord. I'm the one who should be angry. Lighten up, Mr. Serious. Like "Zikzak" is a name you can trust.

I have tried all sorts of combinations of passwords and SSIDs on my 2.4 GHz wireless networks, thanks. Here's what I've gone through, for those of you playing along at home:

• lower case only SSIDs and passwords
  • numeric only SSIDs and passwords
  • combination of numbers and characters
  • combination of capital letters and numbers
  • combination of capitals, lower case, numbers
  • combination of capitals, lower case, numbers, and symbols
  • Results consistent across DLink, Netgear, Belkin, Linksys, Cisco and even a Watchguard Firebox. Like I said, I'm a pro, bro. There ain't no Zik in my Zak.

There's obviously a problem with the encryption module with iOS 9 and 2.4 GHz networks in the MG5X2LL/A series. It ain't working, and it ain't as simple as y'all think. It's a logic defect. Admit it - no one's perfect. Not Google, not Microsoft, not even Apple.

AGAIN, if you missed it, 5 GHz networks ARE working and stable.

ZikzakCorp wrote:

A professional with the Wi-Fi network name "Dingleberry?" Right.

<edited by user>

Apr 22, 2016 9:48 AM in response to fromsouth

No need to respond to above, I believe some of your observations are correct. I also believe that Comcast/TimeWarner senior support is familiar with that fact and fixes specific complains of Apple customers not being able to do auto backup to icloud by connecting them to 5.0 networks. I am perhaps not as much of a Pro as you to think that it is - precisely what you think it is and that Microsoft is not perfect 😝.

I would suggest if you are so inclined to feedback it to Apple using their regular feedback channels, cause there is nothing else I can offer.

Suggest to be as precise and as positive as you can.

http://www.apple.com/feedback/

Apr 22, 2016 10:53 AM in response to fromsouth

Contacted our ISP (AT&T) initially, since it was their router we were using when we first saw trouble, but it's not their problem and they do not have a solution. Surprisingly, they had received quite a few calls about this situation since iOS 9 was released. Since AT&T decided against offering fiber in my home area, I dumped them and switched to the cable provider, Bright House. Same problem. Except, Bright House has 5G bands on their wireless routers, and AT&T does not. I have a ridiculously large house with three independent 5G routers, but our kids live with other parents or at school sometimes who don't have 5G, and that ***** up my Verizon LTE data in a hurry.

I'm a software engineer and I have done technical writing, and I can usually figure this stuff out myself. But this one is beyond me. I have contacted Apple support, been to the Apple store, and spoke with every brilliant software and electronics engineer I know (there are quite a few here on Florida's Space Coast), and no one can figure this out. Apple recommended I replace or upgrade my three out of warranty phones, but that's silly, expensive, and not a fix. It's a software or logic bug. Apple could fix this, but since the 6 is now old tech and 7 is on the horizon, I suppose it's not cost-effective to invest any time or resources into it.

There is no Apple-sanctioned downgrade to iOS 8. Apple needs a Microsoft-like system-restore. Backups and resets all have failed.

Hoping this Hail Mary on the community boards might find someone else who knows more than I do. Looking for a miracle at this point...

Any fix for the iPhone 6 "incorrect password" WIFI error?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.