Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

backup disk ejected

I'm getting the message "The disk was not ejected properly," for no apparent reason. Then Time Machine fails to make backup. Message says "Backup disk may have been ejected or disconnected." I can select "Backup Now" and it works. I'm using an OWC Mercury Elite Pro Classic "Quad Interface" Hard Drive for the backups. It's about 6 years old.

I'm worried that this apparent disconnect will cause me to lose my backups. Can this be fixed? Should I turn off the backup disk to preserve what's on there now? Do I need a new external HD?

Thanks for any help!

Martha Lyle

OWC MErcury Elite Pro "Classic" 500-OTHER, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Apr 19, 2016 7:14 AM

2 replies

Apr 19, 2016 7:29 AM in response to MLyle

You probably should have 2 separate backups anyway in case the external hard drive does fail. You can use a clone for the second backup.

Disk Not Ejected Properly

Clone - Carbon Copy Cloner (Often recommended as it has more features than some others)

Clone – Data Backup

Clone – Deja Vu

Clone - SuperDuper

Clone - Synk

Clone Software – 6 Applications Tested

Time Machine Versus Clones and Archives

Commonly Used Backup Methods

Apr 19, 2016 8:08 AM in response to MLyle

You may also be dealing with a faulty USB port, an faulty cable and a faulty SATA connection as well as a possible failing HDD. You should test for all possibilities. If this phenomenon is intermittent, it may be difficult to isolate the exact cause. An appointment at an Apple store genius bar might prove to be helpful. The sessions are FREE.

Ciao.

backup disk ejected

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.