Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

You must change your iPhone password in 60 minutes!

Apple completely bricked my phone.

I received this message two times in the last 4 months: "You must change your iPhone unlock password within 60 minutes"

This has happened to me two times with the same phone.

iPhone 6plus/ 9.3.1 (most recent update)

The first time however, as I attempted to change my password, it would not accept it. It said it was incorrect. How?!! After continuing to input the ONLY password I've ever had, I was locked out of my phone.

I researched thoroughly on what to do.

I actually had to manually erase my phone through iCloud.com It literally locked me out of my phone until I erased it. Completely inconvenient.

Then after I restored my phone, I created a new password. This fixed everything for awhile. It was a pain, but I thought maybe it was just a glitch.

It was good for a couple of months until I got the message again: "must change your password in 60 minutes."

So I did. But this time it asked me to go from a 6 digit to a four digit. What?! Why would it prompt me to go from a 6 to a 4 digit code? I did, because God forbid I got locked out again. A few minutes later I went back in manually and changed it back to a 6 digit. So far so good, but on pins and needles.

I have no clue why this happens. It's very frustrating since I travel for work and I am basically useless without a functioning phone.

There is nothing "different about my phone"

It's...

-only for personal use; not work provided. I purchased it from Apple; only user.

-no exchange accounts, no MDM

-latest software update installed

-not jailbroken

I have no idea why this happens!!!

iPhone 6 Plus, iOS 8.3

Posted on Apr 19, 2016 7:19 AM

4 replies

Apr 19, 2016 7:28 AM in response to E43

It's a scam. There is nothing on your device or that you will ever get from Apple telling you to change your password in a specific amount of time. When it happens, close Safari, go to Settings>Safari, and "Clear History and Website Data". Do not respond to that pop-up - it is not legitimate.

When does this request pop up? What are you doing when it does?

Best of luck,

GB

Apr 25, 2016 12:11 PM in response to gail from maine

Thanks!

Well, I went to the Apple store today and I had an employee, a manger and their lead Genius take a look at my phone. It baffled them. They had no clue what could be the cause of this issue. They recommended clearing the phone and setting it up as a new device. I already did that once before and still got this frustrating message despite erasing my phone.

I'll have to wait to see if it does it again. If it does, I'm going to request a new phone.

The only apps on my phone are from Apple and I've never downloaded anything off the internet. I'm very stringent about that. They've never seen anything like it.

You must change your iPhone password in 60 minutes!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.