Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can I use newer, faster ram from new iMac in 2009 Mac Mini?

I just got a new 2015 5K iMac 27". I upgraded the ram from 8gb to 32gb of ram. I now have 2 4GB SODIMMs spare.

Does anyone know if the ram will work in a 2009 Man Mini (albeit at the bus speed of the mini)?

New ram specs:

PC3-12800 1600Mhz 204 pin SODIMM CL-11 1.35V

Mac mini ram Specs:

PC3-8500 1066Mhz 204 pin SODIMM CL-7 1.5V

It will physically fit, it should run at the bus speed of 1066, but it is the voltage that might be the issue.

I'd hate to take the darn thing apart only to have it go 'beep' at me 🙂

VIN,Mac mini (Late 2009), OS X El Capitan (10.11.3)

Posted on Apr 19, 2016 11:59 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 19, 2016 12:34 PM

It will not work, the bus on the old Mac is too slow for it

5 replies

Apr 20, 2016 1:05 AM in response to mac_pip

Your analysis was almost spot-on wrt to the Voltage. We are working with Dual Channel. The speed here is not an issue at all, as it moves the data much slower than the design speed of the modules. There remains thus the Latency and the Voltage. The timing {with CL7 at 1067MT's (533MHz) and CL11 at 1867MT's (933MHz)}, could also not matter that much, but I don't have access to a Lab at the moment to measure that exactly for you. Meanwhile you can look at the table at the bottom of https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CAS_latency to see generic timings involved.. I strongly suspect that, with the lower frequency being used than designed for, the modules might just work and not overheat with the added 150mV supply voltage. Good quality RAM will take that. Note that it has been tested to provide at the rated voltage, Random Access at 933MHz(half the dual rate of 1887MT's) and then only with a Latency of 11. Lower Frequency can provide a lower latency, but higher frequency could add to the latency. It is however not an engineering forum, but a users forum. See http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/understanding-ram-timings/ for more on the subject.

Remains only the form factor: If the pinouts and key are the same, it might just be worth a try. I know that I would, but then I have a free hand to do just that.

Leo

Can I use newer, faster ram from new iMac in 2009 Mac Mini?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.