Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Login issues with domain accounts and active directory

We have a few Macs in our organization we want to add to our domain and enable users to login with their network credentials. On one Mac running Mavericks we successfully added it to the domain and can login with any network account. We have tried on two other Macs running Yosemite and El Capitan, and are able to add them to the domain, but can only login with one network account. The other network accounts either don't accept the username/password (even though it worked on Mavericks' Mac), or it asks the user to immediately change their password. Sometimes the message "Network accounts are unavailable" appears when putting in the username.

I've compared the settings with the Mavericks machine with the other two, and they are identical. Is there some way to enable any network user to login to the Macs running Yosemite and/or El Capitan? We set the network login to allow anyone, so it's not being blocked that way. Any thoughts are appreciated. The DNS and WINS are all set properly, and I can ping other computers in the domain.

OS X El Capitan (10.11.4)

Posted on Apr 19, 2016 1:21 PM

2 replies

Dec 30, 2016 1:46 AM in response to rem25

Hi, I hit this problem recently and managed to resolve it by unbinding the Mac [El Capitan] from a Network Account and then re-binding it to the same existing account in the Active Directory. Apparently a system update caused this as it was fine on Mavericks. We got an annoying red dot after the logon name [with message - Network Accounts are not available] but it would not connect when we entered the right details.

HTH, T

Login issues with domain accounts and active directory

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.