Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to print document like a book with Pages?

Hi,

I would like to know how to print a document with the layout of a book. I know that this option was available in the earlier version of Pages. It was > Inspector > Document and then Oppose page. This option seems to have disappear in the later version, does anyone knows how?

Thx

Posted on Apr 19, 2016 1:29 PM

8 replies

Mar 3, 2017 11:40 AM in response to PeterBreis0807

You could — painfully — manage alternate left/right footers by making every single page the start of a New Section and doing a bunch of copying and pasting of footers. It wouldn't handle document flow well, though (it'd have to be a final step that you undid and then redid if you changed the document).

Uneven left/right margins would require a lot of manual effort. You could use a Stay On Page invisible (no fill or border) rectangular shape with an appropriate Text Wrap setting that you manually placed on alternating sides of each page. Because the page numbers would stay odd/even automatically it would handle document flow ok.

All of which is to say that Pages is no longer a decent double-sided document creation tool. Facing pages is one of the many, many things I'd like back from Pages '09, but I suspect it will never, ever return because print is effectively dead from Apple's perspective. iBooks Author is probably their solution, but it's pretty much abandonware at this point and needs a lot of work.

I'm seriously thinking of exporting as Word and then either doing the facing pages stuff there or importing that into InDesign. Both of which are a bunch more work beyond the hundreds of hours I've spent creating this document full of illustrations, tables, and complex layouts. 😢

Apr 19, 2016 4:43 PM in response to piebla

Although Pages no longer supports book style printing. However, you have a couple of options.

1) You can purchase and install Create Booklets, which is a service that will allow you take PDFs created in Pages and impose the pages for book style print.

http://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/21068/create-booklet-pdf-service

2) You can get iBooks Author for free from the Mac App Store. IBA supports printing and shouldnfeature imposition.

Apr 20, 2016 3:43 AM in response to Macology

Hi Macology,

Thanks for that tip about Create Booklet. The advertising blurb sounded good, so I purchased it (the cost is less than a bottle of decent wine 😉).

Here is a test. Screen Shot from Pages 5.6.1

User uploaded file

Pages > Print > PDF > Save as PDF. Open the PDF in Create Booklet.

A steep learning curve for me, but I now have a booklet:

User uploaded file

If you have any other tips to help Pages users, please post here in the Pages for Mac forum.

Regards,

Ian.

Disclaimer: I gain no benefit from recommending the "Create Booklet" software (apart from the pleasure of helping other Pages users 🙂).

Apr 20, 2016 4:01 AM in response to PeterBreis0807

You wrote:

Can you let us know what is your trick in Pages 5.6.1 to ensure all odd numbered pages are on the right of the spreads, along with the appropriate left and right footers, page numbers and headers and the necessary centre gutter?

I wrote:

A steep learning curve for me

Have you downloaded Create Booklet?

Have you climbed the steep learning curve?

Please call back when you have tested Create Booklet.

How to print document like a book with Pages?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.