Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Bad Pixels on iPhone on Verizon Edge

I May contact Verizon support about it, but wanted to check here to see if anyone else had any experience or thoughts on my particular issue.

MY iPhone 6s Plus has what appears (to me) to be specks of a grey oily substance in between the glass and the screen, towards the upper left corner. It's possible they're bad pixels, but I doubt it because that sort of thing tends to develop in some sort of a line or pattern, this isn't. I don't understand how something could possibly have gotten under the glass, but never the less, that's what it looks like to me. Anyone else had this issue?

MY primary question is that, if I were leading my phone through Apple's iPhone Upgrade Program, it's covered by AppleCare. Leasing through Verizon doesn't offer that. Would this be considered a manufacturer defect that Apple would be obligated to solve themselves, without me paying anything? Or is my only choice to just purchase a replacement myself? It's currently not annoying me too much, but if this much developed, I'm mildly concerned that the problem may increase before my next upgrade. I only ask, because they really don't look like a problem with any aspect of the pixels to me. The specks seem

to just always add some grey to whatever color is being displayed there. So if it's blue, it looks like a darker blue speck than what's around it, on white, it just looks grey, so unless someone knows of a case where pixels have shifted color rather than just displayed a completely different color or no color at all, I'm going with my oil suggestion as the source of the problem. Which, technically isn't a manufacturer defect, but technically, if manufactured right, nothing should be able to get betwren the screen and the glass it's laminated to. Unless iPhone screens aren't glued together like every other screen.

Posted on Apr 19, 2016 1:30 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 19, 2016 1:38 PM

Despite using Verizon's leasing, Apple still handles warranty questions. If there is a defect in the device and Apple identifies it, they could replace the device. FYI, bad pixels do not have to follow any kind of pattern. Make an appointment at the Genius bar of the nearest Apple Store to have the hardware examined by Apple and they will explain your options.

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 19, 2016 1:38 PM in response to Timothy Westman-Barth

Despite using Verizon's leasing, Apple still handles warranty questions. If there is a defect in the device and Apple identifies it, they could replace the device. FYI, bad pixels do not have to follow any kind of pattern. Make an appointment at the Genius bar of the nearest Apple Store to have the hardware examined by Apple and they will explain your options.

Apr 19, 2016 1:46 PM in response to ChrisJ4203

TThanks for the quick reply. Didn't know that about bad pixels. Only ever had them appear in lines or other patterns in my experience. Unless the problem grows worse or I'm at an Apple Store for another reason, I doubt I'll end up going to a Genius Bar just cause the nearest one is a couple hours away and with semi-regular upgrades each year, I may decide just to live with it. It wouldn't be the biggest issue I've just lived with until my next upgrade.

ANyways, thanks for the info.

PS Why do the first two letters of every line get autocapitalize by my iPhone? (If you know.) EDIT: (Just here, not everywhere.)

May 1, 2016 8:00 PM in response to Timothy Westman-Barth

I Still don't plan on attempting to get any problem resolved at this time, but... I thought I'd add, I just noticed the problem has changed. So, definitely going with it not being bad pixels. There are now different specks, some darker than others, the original ones are mostly gone. The bigger, most noticeable ones are gone anyways. So, either the problem "material" has shifted, or faded and new specks formed. Honestly I never paid much attention to the little specks, so I'm not sure if it's been fading and new ones formed or if it just sort of happened all at once. Anyways, thought I'd add that. Mostly for archive purposes. I assume Apple keeps these posts forever. If they don't then this is useless, and id be quick to add they should definitely be kept forever. Id keep them. Forever. Back to my point, I don't think they're "bad pixels" rather I think it's something under the screen. The way they look, it looks like the specks aren't as far down as the screen's image is, it would help if I could show it, but you'll just have to take my word for it. And then there's how, not only did new specks appear (which could be the result of additional bad pixels, if that were the case), but the old specks are gone. At least some of them are. So, unless Apple's displays are better designed than I thought... Bad pixels don't generally ever recover, especially on their own.

May 1, 2016 8:05 PM in response to Timothy Westman-Barth

While this forum is part of Apple, they do not usually use it for troubleshooting devices. Apple does not normally participate here. If you are having an issue, even if you do not want to have the device serviced, take the time to have it examined by Apple, as they should be able to tell you what the problem is. If you wait until you determine that the problem is something you want to have fixed, you may find yourself without a warranty. I don't think you want to be in that position. If it is a manufacturing problem, they will replace your phone.

May 1, 2016 8:13 PM in response to ChrisJ4203

TThe whole archiving tidbit was more for me, same reason I don't delete things. Ever. Every file I download I keep. Forever. I feel my thoughts on the matter should be kept some place and here seemed more relevant than a text file on my computer. I didn't expect Apple to do anything with it.

ANyways, for the specks... As I said, I still don't care to have it serviced or even examined at this time, what I meant was that it's not so annoying that I want to take the 2 hour drive to the nearest Apple Store (Apple, if you're reading this, Savannah, GA would be a great place for an Apple Store and is only 30 minutes away) just to have someone look at it, regardless of if they could fix it (even if it meant replacing the phone) right then and there. I trust (mostly) they'd fix the problem. at the moment though, the problem doesn't bother me enough to bother with the drive. If I happen to be near one for some other reason maybe I'll stop by, else I'm done waiting until my December upgrade.

Bad Pixels on iPhone on Verizon Edge

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.