Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMac G3 (PowerPC2,2 Model) Built in September 2001

So I got a iMac G3 It's a PowerMac2,2 model. I learned something when using it. If I hold the power button, the iMac will make a about 3 second long beep, turn on the monitor, the boot up sound occurs (These 2 do not happen at the same time), and then bring me to a white command prompt (I think the computer booted into a ROM chip). Something I noticed, it says the computer was made in September 2001. From what I know, the iMac G3 PowerMac2,2 model was discontinued in February of 2001. Is anyone aware why this is? Could it be the Firmware upgrade that is available for this iMac? The reason why I am asking this is because I plan to install Mac OS 9 on this computer, but I want to install the right version. And if the computer does have the Firmware upgrade, the computer currently has 10.4 Tiger. Will I be able to install Mac OS 9 with the Firmware Upgrade?User uploaded file

iMac, Mac OS X (10.4.11), G3 Processor

Posted on Apr 19, 2016 4:42 PM

5 replies

Apr 19, 2016 4:50 PM in response to Appleboy45

It's one of these "Summer 2000" iMacs

http://www.everymac.com/systems/apple/imac/specs/imac_dv_400_indigo.html

It came pre-installed with Mac OS 9.0.4, so anything later should work, such as 9.1, 9.2.1, and 9.2.2. Also, the iMac's hard drive needs to have been initialized with Mac OS 9 driver installed, to boot directly from Mac OS 9.

iMac G3 (PowerPC2,2 Model) Built in September 2001

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.