Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

why does my macbook restart when it sleeps with the lid open/closed

i need help!! this started a couple weeks ago after i had to restart my password for my login with the built in password reset utility. I used the instructions here http://www.cnet.com/how-to/reset-bypass-password-mac-macbook/. Anyways, after i did that my macbook started resetting randomly... for instance i would be listening to music and it would go on sleep mode (still playing the music nothing wrong) it would be around a minute later and then it would just stop my music and reset quickly then go back to the login screen and i would have to log back in and some dumb question would come up saying "Message Agent wants to use the local items keychain" and it docent go away unless i put in the password. This happens more than 10 times in an hour, pretty much every time i leave it and sleeps. PLEASE HELP!!!User uploaded file

MacBook Air, OS X Mavericks (10.9.5)

Posted on Apr 19, 2016 6:17 PM

3 replies

Apr 21, 2016 6:16 AM in response to charlizee

Hi there charlizee,

It sounds like your computer keeps booting you back to the login screen and you keep getting this prompt about the Messages Agent. I would start by booting to safe mode:

Try safe mode if your Mac doesn‘t finish starting up

1. Start or restart your Mac.
  2. Immediately after you hear the startup sound, press and hold the Shift key.
  3. Release the Shift key when you see the Apple logo appear on the screen.

After the Apple logo appears, it might take longer than usual to reach the login screen or your desktop. This is because your Mac performs a directory check of your startup disk as part of safe mode.

When you've logged in, repair your permissions on your disk:

Repair disk permissions with Disk Utility

Follow these steps in OS X Yosemite or earlier:

1. Open Disk Utility, which is in the Utilities folder of your Applications folder.
  2. Select the startup disk from the list of volumes.
  3. Click the First Aid tab.
  4. To check permissions, click Verify Disk Permissions. To repair permissions, click Repair Disk Permissions.

Disk Utility checks a file's permissions only if the file has a corresponding receipt in /var/db/receipts. The receipt tells Disk Utility what the permissions should be. Not all installers include a receipt with the files they install.

Thank you for using Apple Support Communities, let us know how that goes!

May 5, 2016 7:50 AM in response to charlizee

Thanks for the update! That's pretty frustrating that it started happening again. It's seeming to me like there may be something corrupt in the user account you are logging into. I would create a new user and see if it happens there as well, or if it is just the one user that seems to be affected.

1. In Users & Groups preferences, click Add (+) below the list of users.
  2. Choose the type of user you want to create from the New Account pop-up menu.

Be sure you know the different user types before you choose. For descriptions, see:

About users, administrators, groups, and guests

3. Type a full name for the new user. An account name is generated automatically. To use a different account name, enter it now—you can’t change it later.
  4. Enter a password for the user, then enter it again to verify. Using a password hint is recommended to help the user remember his or her password.
  5. Click Create User.

why does my macbook restart when it sleeps with the lid open/closed

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.