Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPod nano 7th gen headphones able to play through but not detected

I have the iPod Nano 7th gen on the latest OS. The iPod will not play audio through any apps in the main os like music, alarms, radio, all of them. To me it seems to be caused by the iPod inability to detect that the headphones are plugged in. I think this because going into diagnostics mode and playing the test sounds, the sounds go through perfectly hence the fact the diagnostics will play the sounds whether it knows the headphones are there. Ive used different headphones and tried resting the iPod and everything. I can say about %100 that the iPod simply doesn't know there are headphones plugged in so it refuses to play the audio; NOT that the actual headphone jack is broken. So, is there anyway i can fix this?

iPod nano, Other OS, 7th Gen, latest OS

Posted on Apr 19, 2016 5:28 PM

3 replies

Apr 19, 2016 5:42 PM in response to JustAnIOSuser

If this is a new iPod nano, make sure the headphones plug is fully inserted into the headphones jack of iPod. It should "snap" into place. The fit can be tighter than expected, especially when iPod is brand new. You may still get some audio if not fully inserted, but the sensor in the headphones jack may not recognize the plug.

If this is a older iPod that you've been using for a while, first do a Reset (restart) on the iPod

Learn how to reset your iPod - Apple Support

If that does not help, you may want to do a Restore on the iPod using iTunes. This erases the iPod, reinstalls its software, and sets it to default settings.

Use iTunes on your Mac or PC to restore your iPhone, iPad, or iPod to factory settings - Apple Support

If the problem is not resolved after doing a Restore, the iPod probably has a hardware problem, such as a faulty headphones jack.

Apr 19, 2016 5:54 PM in response to Kenichi Watanabe

this isnt new, ive tried restarts(as stated) i recently restored the iPod in order to install the latest OS, and this i dont think this would be a hardware problem as all aspects of the headphones work according to diagnostic mode except for the detection. None of the things said above fixed it and if im right in the fact that there is probably a prong on the inside for detecting the headphones that specific prong could be blocked or if it is a hardware problem it could be broke. So in the case that it isnt broke, is there a way to clean the inside easily of say dust or small paper etc that would prevent the detection?

iPod nano 7th gen headphones able to play through but not detected

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.