Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mac Pro 1.1 Lion and new DVD burner old SuperDrive dead

TTen years later original SuperDrive is dead. Trays but won't mount or read any disk. I purchased LG burner from Mac sales. Installed it. Powered it on. Mounts disks, but I can't get it to book from it to install SL or Windows 7.

Any help is appreciated. Just spent 4 hours installing it and cleaning all the **** dust inside the case. It's currently stuck trying to read or boot SL for about 20 minutes.

Posted on Apr 19, 2016 10:14 PM

27 replies

Apr 20, 2016 6:43 AM in response to lllaass

It only mounta on the desktop. When I reboot regardless of holding down the key I get black screen as if Windows is about to install. i use start up n system preferences to force it into the SL DVD and the drive spins and I hear the familiar zip noise of a busy drive reading the disk and that's it. For half an hour doing nothing I shut it down and went to sleep. Prior to that I had both the original hard edge stop hooked up to the Mac. Last time on final attempt I removed completely. Hoping it will force it to boot from the new drive.

IM stuck there until I go home after work. It boots into lion as normal but I can't install SL on a bare drive or Windows 7 on another SSD (solid state disk ) like I had before. I screwed with the SSD (solid state disk ) and lost Windows 10. Which is why I'm at this stage with my aging Mac Pro.

Apr 20, 2016 6:18 PM in response to Grant Bennet-Alder

I remember jumpers for IDE drives but I installed a SATA. I removed the broken super drive so it only sees the new LG drive now. The keyboard eject button works. Media mounts on the desktop just fine.

I will give them a call if I hit a dead end. I despise phone support. Primarily I'm awkward on the phone. Like someone learning to use a walkie talkie for the first time. Lol

Thank you for your response.

Apr 20, 2016 6:26 PM in response to Robert Pena

Ok this is what be done so far.

I rest PRAM. I hear the chime again. I plugged in an external USB DVD and inserted SL disk. Went into System Preference and Startup. Highlighted the install disk.

Booted again and got the SL installation going. I've tried using this burner before but like the other it wouldn't mount despite doing what I just did.

Its a roll of the dice sometimes.

Apr 21, 2016 3:09 PM in response to Grant Bennet-Alder

Correct. OWC provides a cable that I snaked through the drive bays to the logic board and additional adapter. I am currently loading Photoshop Elements 6 through the installed LG burner on the SL drive. Not issues.

Somehow I can no longer boot anything from any drive. Keep in mind I have installed Windows Vista 4 times on four different hard drives. Two ran out of room and two were older and finally failed until I moved to SSD. From there I was able to load Windows 7 Professional 32 bit. In the same day I installed it I was offered Windows 10. I was shocked it upgraded with no issues other than locking up during YouTube playback.

Keep in mind that going from Vista to 7 required several attempts to load through DVD. The last time my original superdrive worked. I figured as much too.

Now nothing will read it except the external LG burner and that was with the SL DVD.

Mac Pro 1.1 Lion and new DVD burner old SuperDrive dead

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.