Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

garageband songs in icloud-- icloud backup redundant?

Hi,

If all my Garageband songs are uploaded to iCloud, is it redundant to include Garageband app data in my iPad's iCloud backup? I believe it is, but I just want to make sure there isn't some reason to keep it included in the backup that I overlooked. I only have the free 5 GB so I'd like to reserve that for only necessary backups.

Thanks!

iPad Pro, iOS 9.3, 12.9" 256GB

Posted on Apr 19, 2016 10:54 PM

2 replies

Apr 19, 2016 11:16 PM in response to oregonjoe

Also a related question -

I have GarageBand on my iPhone and now my recently purchased iPad. All my songs are synced from my phone to iCloud, so they all synced to my new iPad as well. I also downloaded all the songs so they are locally available on the iPad. However, when I look at the backup options in Settings>iCloud>manage storage, the iPad says the GarageBand backup size is a mere 147 KB, while the iPhone says the garageband backup size is a whopping 379 MB. They have the same exact songs on them, so why is that? Furthermore, in iCloud storage it says the Garageband songs being synced add up to 415 MB, which is more than the backups of both the iPhone and iPad GarageBand apps combined. How is that? Basically, I don't know what's going on. What's being backed up to iCloud from each of the iOS apps?

Thanks!

Apr 20, 2016 12:42 AM in response to oregonjoe

It depends on your settings for iCloud Drive, see this document: iCloud: iCloud storage and backup overview

Your iOS device backup only includes data and settings stored on your device. It doesn’t include data already stored in iCloud. That includes contacts, calendars, bookmarks, mail messages, notes, shared photo albums, iCloud Photo Library, My Photo Stream, and documents you store in iCloud Drive. If your iOS device isn’t set up for iCloud Drive, but is set up for iCloud Documents & Data, your documents stored in iCloud are backed up.

garageband songs in icloud-- icloud backup redundant?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.