Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Device Activation Issues

Hello,

My Apple ID cannot be used to unlock my iPad2,6

After upgrade from ios8.2.1 to ios9.3.1 i get an error when i try activating: "This apple id cannot be used to unlock this device".

The id is valid and i can log on to it on apple website. That is the only ID i have registered on that device since i bought it.

Please what should i do?

How do i contact Apple directly to resolve my issue?

Thanks for answering

iPad 2, iOS 9.3.1, I have changed my apple id password

Posted on Apr 20, 2016 5:38 AM

3 replies

Apr 20, 2016 6:13 AM in response to gmy2k

That was the account that you were using in Settings > iCloud on the iPad, the iPad shows on the 'Find My iPhone' section of that account on http://www.icloud.com ?

If you were the original purchaser of the iPad (i.e. it wasn’t bought used) then you could try going to an Apple Store (make a Genius Bar appointment if you do) or try contacting iTunes Support online (http://www.apple.com/support/itunes/contact/) and see if they can remove the iPad from the account - they are likely to want to see proof of ownership before they might help e.g. original receipt with the serial number on it

May 1, 2016 6:42 AM in response to King_Penguin

Thanks for your response @King_Penguin. Here is the summary:

I bought a new iPad in 2014. Shortly after, i changed my Apple ID on the device. I received a mail acknowledgement from Apple confirming change of id. I started using the new Id, change password, and sign into apple applications etc using the new ID.

I had to do a reset last month but i can't activate the device cos it's iCloud locked. Unfortunately the new Apple ID i changed to which i've been using for more than 2yrs now cannot unlock the device, neither can d old one do. To make matters worst apple server can no longer recognize the old Apple Id.

I've been to d Apple Store i bought the device, tendered my purchase receipt + the device but they said i need to remember the Apple id & password.

I've been into chat session with Apple Support on Twitter, send them all my details, device serials, screenshot of confirmation emails from apple confirming Change of Apple ID, change of password of the new Apple ID i received from Apple for both old n new Apple accounts.

Apple support keeps sending me a link to contact Apple support nearest to my location that they don't support my location (Nigeria). Unfortunately, there's no Phone contacts for voice call or chat link for my location on that link. Instead, d link provided by Apple support keeps taking me round a circle. I have asked Apple support to kindly provide me with a contact i can reach out to from my location since the information is not available on that link but they've stopped responding to my messages.

Right now am too disappointed. Why must i bear the brunt on Apple's failed system? I changed my apple id email and received confirmation and now the new id cannot unlock the device neither can the old one.

What do i do? How do i contact Apple Support in Nigeria? How do i activate my device?

May 1, 2016 10:25 AM in response to gmy2k

You updated your existing account to have a new primary email address on it, or did you create a new account ? If the former you could try (when you update an account you should log out and back in everywhere that it's used : What to do after you change your Apple ID email address or password - Apple Support) : If iCloud asks you for the password to your previous Apple ID - Apple Support

You are contacting Support via : https://support.apple.com/en-ng or : https://www.apple.com/emea/support/itunes/contact.html ?

I've been to d Apple Store i bought the device

As far as I can see there aren't any Apple stores in Nigeria, only resellers (who are unlikely to be able to help)

Device Activation Issues

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.