Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacBook Pro Model A1286 15" Memory Upgrade

I currently have model A1286 15" with two memory slots both holding 2GB cards (4GB). I would like to upgrade my memory to two 8 GB cards (16GB) is this possible, or is the max memory two 4GB cards (8 GB)?

MacBook Pro, OS X El Capitan (10.11.4), 15"

Posted on Apr 20, 2016 8:07 AM

6 replies

Apr 20, 2016 8:22 AM in response to ashleyfromgroton

The A1286 model is very generic, applying to MacBook Pros all the way back to 2009. You need to specify exactly what model year you have. As the Maximum ram supported can and does change between model years.

You can use this Apple Page to identify your Mac more specifically:

How to identify MacBook Pro models - Apple Support

You can go to this page once you identify it, to find out how much RAM exactly it can take:

http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/memory/Apple_MacBook_MacBook_Pro

And no, no Apple Store, or authorized reseller will sell you RAM for your Mac, it does not work that way.

Suggested RAM sources are MacSales.com, and Crucial.com

Apr 20, 2016 8:32 AM in response to ashleyfromgroton

nothing...it'll boot just fine. the reason 8 gigs was listed is that at the time, that was the biggest memory module available, and Apple tends to be somewhat conservative when it comes to these things. You can even install it yourself. As was mentioned before, make sure you get the correct type for your MacBook Pro, and you're good to go, and no, Apple won't sell it to you

good luck

John B

MacBook Pro Model A1286 15" Memory Upgrade

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.