Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Clean up software.

I am running a Mac-Mini on OS10.10.5. What are the options for clean up software? I have Disk Warrior already. I'm trying to improve email speed and boot up time.

Mac mini, OS X Yosemite (10.10.5)

Posted on Apr 20, 2016 8:56 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 20, 2016 9:12 AM

Run this and post the results here so we know more about your configuration.

EtreCheck

Do not install a "cleaning" app like MacKeeper or CleanMyMac.

They on make it worse

10 replies

Apr 22, 2016 10:37 AM in response to sabre 15

For fairness sake, CleanMyMac is not as bad as it portrayed by some users here.

1. Once you install the app, it scans your hard drive and a few seconds later it will give you a summary of everything that slows your Mac down.

2. It's automatic cleanup uses an intelligent algorithm to suggest files that are 100 percent safe for removal. User controls what to clean from the very beginning and program never deletes anything without user's permission.

<I may receive some form of compensation, financial or otherwise, from my recommendation>

Apr 22, 2016 7:01 AM in response to MacPaw.

MacPaw. wrote:

For fairness sake, CleanMyMac is not as bad as it portrayed by some users here.

1. Once you install the app, it scans your hard drive and a few seconds later it will give you a summary of everything that it thinks may slow your Mac down.

2. It's automatic cleanup uses an intelligent algorithm to suggest files that it thinks are 100 percent safe for removal. User controls what to clean from the very beginning and program never deletes anything without user's permission.

But it is not always right

Apr 22, 2016 10:47 AM in response to Csound1

If you personally experienced any troubles while using CleanMyMac - we are sorry and we are opened to discuss them. Yes, like any other apps, CleanMyMac may have bugs, but we constantly working on fixing them based on users' feedback. You know, those who do nothing, never risk to fail. If we did not care about the quality, we wouldn't be represented on this website and we wouldn't talk to you. So thanks for your criticism as it help us to the better version of ourselves.

<I may receive some form of compensation, financial or otherwise, from my recommendation.>

Apr 22, 2016 10:30 AM in response to MacPaw.

MacPaw. wrote:

We are saying this just because many criticism comes from non-users. If you need any kind of proof that CleanMyMac is actually good, go to our Twitter or Facebook pages and you will see hundreds of positive reviews.

I'm going to trust illaass rather than random people on FB or twitter (who may or may not be shills). Illaass has an established, trustworthy reputation. He's not trying to sell anyone anything.

Apr 22, 2016 2:29 PM in response to MacPaw.

Unless you have a specific troubleshooting step for the OP (without advertising your product), you are violating the ToU of these forums with every post. You are not here to sell your software - these forums are NOT advertising sites. They exist for users to help other users.

And, Mac OS does not need your type of product - problems can be solved without adding such a questionable third party product.

As well, I take my Mac seriously - why would I turn to mostly paid for comments/reviews on social media?

Out of curiosity: why do you have so many accounts here? Does this have something to do with that:

http://www.itbusinessedge.com/blogs/from-under-the-rug/mackeepers-tarnished-repu tation-tip-convey-your-message-or-others…

Apr 22, 2016 5:47 PM in response to MacPaw.

CCed because it needs saying...

Rather than take YOUR word for it, I think I'll ( and everyone else you encounter here except newbies) listen to our good pal thomas-r - a REAL Expert

From his article > http://www.thesafemac.com/how-to-uninstall-software/

Another myth involves the use of generic “uninstall” apps, such as AppZapper, AppCleaner, AppDelete and CleanMyMac (just to name a few). These are often recommended by “experts” on forums, seeming to lend them some credibility. However, these apps cannot reliably uninstall anything. They may be able to clean up a few unimportant leftovers – such as preference files – but they generally cannot properly remove more complex software. In fact, not only do they usually fail to remove enough, in some cases they can actually remove too much, damaging the basic functionality of other apps or even the system.

Clean up software.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.