Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Save Photo to iCloud Drive

I'm losing my mind here....

How can one, on iOS 9, save a file from the camera roll to iCloud Drive.

Keeping in mind I do not want to back up ALL my photos to iCloud or Photo Sharing or whatever they've called it, just ONE, to iCloud Drive.

I can't figure this out!!!

Thanks for any help-

iMac, OS X El Capitan (10.11)

Posted on Apr 20, 2016 10:15 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 3, 2018 10:14 PM

Sorry, but if you are asking about how to save a photo from your Camera Roll to iCloud Drive, it is quite simple:

- Tap on the photo in the Camera Roll that you want on iCloud Drive

- Tap on the Sharing icon at the bottom left-hand corner of the display

- Scroll to the "Save to Files" option and tap on that

The photo is now in whatever folder you designated for it to be in on iCloud Drive.

Cheers,

GB

10 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 3, 2018 10:14 PM in response to K Pearson

Sorry, but if you are asking about how to save a photo from your Camera Roll to iCloud Drive, it is quite simple:

- Tap on the photo in the Camera Roll that you want on iCloud Drive

- Tap on the Sharing icon at the bottom left-hand corner of the display

- Scroll to the "Save to Files" option and tap on that

The photo is now in whatever folder you designated for it to be in on iCloud Drive.

Cheers,

GB

Jan 21, 2018 1:11 AM in response to gail from maine

Thank you for saving me out of confusion. After learning the hard way that iCloud & iCloud Drive are different. I finally tested a random photo transfer from the former to the latter. I then deleted it from my gallery & found it safe in the iCloud Drive. In the hard way I thought iCloud was also the backup until the test had failed in losing the pic in gallery & iCloud. Hope others find this post helpful t

Apr 23, 2016 10:16 AM in response to WestVanPete

Not to defend Apple and their products, but there is a very slick workflow in place to copy images from your Photos App, including the Camera Roll, to your iCloud Photo Library.

Not to iCloud Drive, but the Photo Library. They both "live" in the same place. Your iCloud Drive is not shareable with others. It's your drive in the cloud.

Why do you want a photo in your iCloud Drive? If you want it on a device that has iCloud drive, you can achieve the same result using the Photo Library, which is designed for doing exactly that.

Apr 23, 2016 6:21 PM in response to LACAllen

I'm just trying to find a place where I can store and edit photos on my iPad using several apps. That is, work on a photo with several apps and have a common file space.

"Open In" works but creates copies, and after moving something around a few times over a span of time I lose track of edits. And I can't rename the file, for some reason, so I can't name the edits different things. And then from the other apps, I have to "open in" them back to somewhere else. Too confusing.

If I could just save photo "files" to a "directory" like I can on everything else I'd be much happier. Like make a folder called "Edits" and then have a few photos in that directory to work on. Finally I could grab them on my Mac and add them to my Lightroom library.

Apr 23, 2016 7:48 PM in response to WestVanPete

Than I suggest you are using a tablet as a PC or at least with a PC mentality, and as such may have issues with the lack of a centralized file system.

There is nothing "wrong" with your approach at all.

iOS and Android photo apps are all built similarly. They have their own way to manage files and edits. Expecting them all to play along nicely will be a challenge for you.

I assure you, if you accept that all iOS apps will drop the files somewhere in your Photos App, and that the Photos App can be synced with your Mac, but not with iCloud Drive, you'll be fine.

I use a Mac and Lightroom and many apps on my iPad. I simply let the system do as it is designed to do. Once I have edits or files to play with in Lightroom, I add them (on my iPad) to a Shared Album I call EDITS from IPAD, let it sync to my Mac, and grab them from the OSX Photos app for export to a known folder in full size and then in to Lightroom.

Save Photo to iCloud Drive

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.