Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Ipad synced to dead computer

Ive spenbt a few weeks trying to get info on how to synch my iPad on a new computer while it is still synched to a dead computer. iTunes 12.3.3.17 - OS X yosemite macbook pro. so far the only options I have found that actually exist on the software ( most looks to be for older versions) is to deauthorize devices. I cannot seem to reauthorize the computer that no longer exists so i can do a complete backup.

MacBook Pro, yosemite, itunes12

Posted on Apr 20, 2016 10:42 AM

3 replies

Apr 20, 2016 10:56 AM in response to sonomaholiday

Your i-device was not designed for unique storage of your media. It is not a backup device and media transfer was planned with you maintaining a master copy of your media on a computer which is itself independently backed up against loss. To use a device with a different setup you transfer the old library from a computer or a backup directly to the new setup, not the device to the library. Media syncing is one way, computer to device, updating the device content to the content on the computer, not updating or restoring content on a computer. The exception is iTunes Store purchases which can be transferred to a computer.

Redownload or transfer your iTunes Store purchases from an iPhone, iPad or iPod to a computer - https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201267 - "This feature works only for content bought from the iTunes Store." As of iOS9 it no longer does apps which now must be re-downloaded directly from the Store.

For transferring other items from an i-device to a computer you will have to use third party commercial software. See this document by turingtest2: Recovering your iTunes library from your iPod or iOS device - https://discussions.apple.com/docs/DOC-3991 Even this method may not fully recover what you had in the library originally. For example if in order to save space when syncing you had converted music files to a lower bitrate, or photos to a lower resolution, it is those lower quality files you will recover.

If you subscribe to Apple Music, tracks which are not part of content you have purchased or uploaded cannot be transferred and have to be downloaded directly from iCloud.

Ipad synced to dead computer

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.