Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

ipod sick

everytime I go to turn on my ipod (its like from 2005 ) it comes up with a picture of a sick ipod and says to go to www.apple.com/support/ipod or whatever. I have many times and theres nothing. HELP!

Posted on Apr 20, 2016 11:46 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 20, 2016 6:07 PM

That often means there is a hardware problem on the iPod. But it may be data corruption only. First, do a Reset (restart) on the iPod

Learn how to reset your iPod - Apple Support (see section iPod with a click wheel)

If it goes back to the same error screen, try putting the iPod into Disk Mode

Putting iPod into Disk Mode - Apple Support

Run iTunes and connect iPod. If iTunes picks it up, it may prompt you to do a Restore, which erases the iPod, reinstalls its software, and sets it to default settings. It the cause is data corruption (and there's no hardware problem), doing a Restore should fix it.

If the iPod does not go into Disk Mode, or if the Restore fails, the cause is likely to be a hardware problem, such as a faulty hard drive.

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 20, 2016 6:07 PM in response to SoullessBeauty

That often means there is a hardware problem on the iPod. But it may be data corruption only. First, do a Reset (restart) on the iPod

Learn how to reset your iPod - Apple Support (see section iPod with a click wheel)

If it goes back to the same error screen, try putting the iPod into Disk Mode

Putting iPod into Disk Mode - Apple Support

Run iTunes and connect iPod. If iTunes picks it up, it may prompt you to do a Restore, which erases the iPod, reinstalls its software, and sets it to default settings. It the cause is data corruption (and there's no hardware problem), doing a Restore should fix it.

If the iPod does not go into Disk Mode, or if the Restore fails, the cause is likely to be a hardware problem, such as a faulty hard drive.

May 8, 2016 8:40 PM in response to SoullessBeauty

My IPod mini is also showing the "screen of death." I have reset it many, many times in the past few weeks. Sometimes the Apple logo will come up. One time this week it actually looked like it was going to work, it showed the main menu on the screen--but I couldn't select anything from the menu. I will try Disk Mode, but since the Apple logo doesn't always come up I don't know whether the Disk Mode screen will ever come up.

I'd like to hear if anyone has successfully used an IPod after getting the "screen of death!"

May 8, 2016 9:27 PM in response to beckyipodmini

Probably a faulty hard drive (although it could be something else). Can't really do much about getting it to work, if the hard drive is bad...

As a FYI, the hard drive in an iPod mini is even smaller than the other "classic" iPods. It's the same size as a Compact Flash (Type II) card, with the same connector. You can replace it directly with a Compact Flash card; most CF cards are thinner (Type I). OR, you can put an SD ("SDXC") card in an SD-to-CF adapter. SD cards a typically cheaper than CF for the same storage capacity.

I used this adapter to put a 64GB SDXC card into my iPod mini

http://www.amazon.com/Digigear-SDXCF-Extreme-Ultimate-Compact/dp/B00EPMWT1M

I replaced the battery at the same time. This adapter with SDXC card is almost exactly the same size as the stock "micro" hard drive. There are tutorials and videos about taking apart iPod mini.

May 9, 2016 2:51 PM in response to Kenichi Watanabe

I read about your hard drive replacement. That basically makes it a new IPod, no music, etc, right? I did mean to mention that I have replaced the battery once in this IPod--long enough ago that I don't remember how far inside it I went, whether I saw the hard drive... Do you think replacing the hard drive would make it function for another 10+ years?

I did buy a used Nano to replace the mini. I mainly wish the mini would function as a backup source of my songs, since the computer used to put them on the mini is dying. Though having it fully function again doesn't sound so bad.

May 9, 2016 4:16 PM in response to beckyipodmini

Whether replacing the hard drive with a Compact Flash card or SD card (on an adapter) makes the iPod mini work again depends on the actual specific problem. The cause of what you describe is often the iPod's hard drive, but it could be something else, like the logic board. There are no guarantees...

That basically makes it a new IPod, no music, etc, right?

Well, it does not make it "new." 🙂 It's like doing a Restore on a working iPod, which erases the iPod, reinstalls its software, and sets it to default settings. In fact, the last step after replacing the hard drive IS doing a Restore.

I don't remember how far inside it I went, whether I saw the hard drive...

With an iPod nano, you put out the entire assembly from the tube-like metal casing. The hard drive is right there. You would have seen it. Here's an illustrated repair guide

https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/iPod+Mini+Hard+Drive+Replacement/412

I mainly wish the mini would function as a backup source of my songs, since the computer used to put them on the mini is dying.

It is a BAD idea to consider an iPod to be a backup for your computer, whether it is working properly or not. iPods are media players. They can be lost or damaged. They are not designed to be your iTunes data backup. You should back up all of your user data (including your iTunes data) stored on your computer to an external drive, in case your computer or its drive fails. If you use a Mac, use the built-in Time Machine feature to automatically back up all of your data to an external drive.

If you only want to back up your iTunes data, and do it manually, this Apple document describes how to back up (and restore) your complete iTunes library data.

Manage and back up your iTunes media library - Apple Support

May 9, 2016 5:22 PM in response to Kenichi Watanabe

I clicked some of the links on the ifixit page, and found the mini troubleshooting guide says that the sad IPod icon is usually caused by corrupted software or a bad logic board. Since mine hadn't been connected to my computer in years, corrupted software wouldn't seem to be the problem? So maybe it's the logic board. Gotta decide how much $ I want to spend playing with this.

ipod sick

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.