Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

When will the next iTunes update roll out?

Screw the "how to write a good question", I'm going to be explicit enough here.

I have an iPhone 6 with the latest firmware. I have an iPod nano 7th gen with the latest firmware update. I also have iTunes version 12.3.3.17.

I have been using apple and iTunes for my music and it has been working well. The biggest advantage of the apple ecosystem is its general ease of use (at the expense of the power user who wishes to have more control and granularity over changes, but I digress).

Long story short, before I updated to iTunes 12.3.3.17, I could sync both my iPhone 6 and my iPod nano 7th gen just fine. After updating iTunes to 12.3.3.17, it will recognize that I'm trying to connect my iPod nano 7th gen, but will encounter an error. iTunes 12.3.3.17 fails to even recognize that I'm connecting any kind of device when I try to connect my iPhone 6.

I have tried the following:

1) I have checked the cable. I have tried 2 usb to lightning cables. Both cables are fine. Connecting to iTunes still fails

2) I have tried all of the ports on my laptop. My USB ports are fine. Connecting to iTunes still fails.

3) I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling iTunes. Connecting to iTunes still fails.

4) I have tried rolling back to an older version. I encounter a library error where the old version of iTunes cannot read the library of the new version of iTunes.

No, rolling back to an old version of iTunes and following the steps to ensure the library is readable is not a real solution, it is a work around until the next update.

I am not willing to mess around with the files, potentially lose my library, and the money that I have invested therein.

I value iTunes because it is the larges online library I know of where I can purchase music. I'm not into the premium internet radio trend, where people subscribe to have full access to a massive library of songs. I am an old school youngster (going on 24 years) that prefers to physically own (or in apple's case, license) copies of the music I like. I get that many premium internet providers allow you to download songs for offline listening, but that is only for as long as you pay their subscription.

Apple currently works for me because I have a secure online "location" to purchase and download songs, as well as sync them to my devices in a simple and straightforward fashion. However, I'm fiercely musical, and I know of, and understand, the other side of the music economy where people are downloading freeware music software to manage their libraries and/or downloading music from sites such as BandCamp or SoundCloud (in some instances legally and for free).

I ask because I want to know when I can expect the next real solution to this problem. This is not some minor, "oh, we've dropped support for this product" issue. Right now, I'm unable to manage my Apple ecosystem because of this blunder. And I've been searching through the forums and the "solutions" that have been given have been work-arounds to this issue.

When can I expect the next version of iTunes to roll out, and is apple aware of this issue and dedicating resources to resolve it? This isn't a run of the mill issue, it's a massive blunder, and I've been reading support threads that date back to when this version first came out in March. Are we going to get a solution soon? or will we have to wait until the next stable release?

Posted on Apr 20, 2016 12:28 PM

12 replies

Apr 20, 2016 12:52 PM in response to ihavetomakethisname

Windows 10 and iTunes has been a problem. You can imagine one saying the other is to blame, between Microsoft and Apple. You seem to say you don't really want to work on a fix, but I'll do this anyway.

Here is an ASC User provided tip from a fellow user on how to look at troubleshooting for iTunes and Windows. Usually failure to recognize an iOS device has to do with a driver issue. If that is not found, then the iOS device won't be recognized in iTunes. Troubleshooting issues with iTunes for Windows updates This is probably the most comprehensive compilation of issues relating to the iOS device, Windows, and iTunes. Good luck.

Apr 20, 2016 1:07 PM in response to ihavetomakethisname

Coming when it's done!

Try the following:

1. Open Control Panel > Device Manager
  2. Plug in your device
  3. Locate Universal Serial Bus Controllers > Apple Mobile Device USB Driver.
    It is also possible the device may show under Imaging Devices, Portable Devices or Other Devices or as an MTB USB Device.
  4. Right-click and select Update Driver Software...
  5. Click Browse my computer for driver software
  6. Browse to C:\Program Files\Common Files\Apple\Mobile Device Support\Drivers or
    C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Apple\Mobile Device Support\Drivers
  7. Click Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer
  8. Click Apple Mobile Device USB Driver
  9. Click Next, then Close and exit Device Manager

For step 3 above, open the device manager. Expand any of these sections that are listed.

• Universal Serial Bus Controllers
  • Imaging Devices
  • Portable Devices
  • Other Devices

Connect the device. You should hear the telltale sound of Windows device connection and one section should gain a new entry. That should be your device. It may not be labelled correctly at this stage.

Or try iPhone, iPad, or iPod not recognized in iTunes for Windows - Apple Support

Failing that try a full tear down and rebuild of iTunes as set out in Troubleshooting issues with iTunes for Windows updates.

Or lastly try rolling back to the last build of iTunes that worked for you. See iTunes installers for download links. If you're rolling back from 12.3.3.17 to 12.3.2.35, for example, then you'll also need to roll back the database in the way described in Empty/corrupt iTunes library after upgrade/crash. The tip includes suggestions for reintroducing any recent purchases so at worst you lose a few playcounts and/or a recently created playlist.

And if you're concerned about your investment in your library see Backup your iTunes for Windows library with SyncToy.

tt2

Apr 20, 2016 12:58 PM in response to IdrisSeabright

Thank you for your sympathy. That is kind of the point of this post. In my research, I have seen apple support come in and suggest the same basic solution. In one instance, someone even suggested solutions that the OP had already stated he had done. It seems like canned replies are being given to people who are encountering this problem: "go to this support page and try this".

Frankly, rather than roll back to an old version of iTunes (which is counter to the point of having updated to the new version in the first place), and figure out how to make that work, I would like some sort of confirmation from Apple that they are aware on the issue, are dedicating resources to solve it, and have a timeline to roll out the solution.

I'm frustrated enough as it is that the "solutions" that Apple has been proposing either involve the software equivalent of "have you tried turning the thing off then on again?" or a step by step process that would likely be daunting to people without computer expertise.

I'm not aware of Apple having acknowledged this as an issue beyond giving said "visit this support page" advice.

So, Apple, if you read this:

Are you aware that iTunes 12.3.3.17 is severely bugged?

Are you actually dedicating resources to resolve this issue?

What timeline can we expect for this solution to be rolled out?

That's all i really want to know. If I can get some sort of acknowledgement on these questions, at least I know there is a solution on the way. Frankly, this type of bug should never have happened. This is more than a simple "the program takes 5 minutes to start now instead of 2" bug. This is iTunes failing to detect any devices from the Apple ecosystem. And while it has been suggested that the problem lies with windows installing its own driver over the one iTunes uses, this issue only happened after updating to the latest version of iTunes. Passing the blame to Microsoft in that manner is childish.

Apr 20, 2016 1:07 PM in response to turingtest2

One thing I will mention, I cannot find any "Drivers" folder in the "Mobile Device Support" Folder. Instead, when I go to install the new driver, I have to select the "Mobile Device Support" folder and click on the "include all sub folders" box to include everything therein.

I subsequently receive notification from windows that the driver I currently have installed is the latest version. And then I end up at square one again.

I have been running windows 10 on this laptop since September with nary a problem. This is the first time I've every encountered such a major issue with itunes, and frankly with apple, which is definitely a testament to the reliability of their products.

Apr 20, 2016 1:15 PM in response to ihavetomakethisname

Apple won't reply to those sorts of questions. By and large they're not here. This is a user to user support forum. There are moderators, and a team that supply mostly canned answers, but they can't respond directly. There are probably others who scour the forums for evidence of problems to address in the next release, but don't expect them to drop into the thread to tell you that they're on it.

tt2

Apr 29, 2016 8:31 AM in response to turingtest2

Unfortunately, this is what I get when I open the Mobile Device Support folder. No such folder named "drivers". I've been considering opening each one up individually, but I don't see how that would change anything. When I go to update the driver, I simply select the Mobile Device Support folder and click the "include subfolders" box, so it should be searching everything in there anyways.

User uploaded file

Yes, this is within the same directory that you have.

Apologies for my frustration above, but this demonstrates why Apple's solutions to this problem are not solutions, but work-arounds. My iPod was syncing perfectly with iTunes before the update, and all of my iDevices stopped syncing after the update. To blame a windows driver issue is unprofessional.

And, as I've mentioned, I've tried updating the driver. I tried reinstalling iTunes. I tried rolling back to an older version, but it won't read my new library, and I don't want to mess with that if it will risk me losing the songs I've paid for (though it looks like I'm going to have to do that).

And even when following their instructions to ensure I can resolve this issue, I don't encounter the same files and folders they specify I need.

Also, I did check the iTunes folder in the "Program Files" side of the computer as well (the not x86) for a "Drivers" folder, with no luck.

Its just frustrating for me, as a recently graduated Electrical Engineer, and someone who spends a fair amount of time working with computers, to run into an issue with iTunes, read that its really a "Microsoft Driver issue", and run into Band-Aid solutions because Apple does not want to accept that they severely messed up an iTunes update.

ITunes was working fine before, and only stopped after I updated iTunes. Nothing in my Windows 10 environment changed during that time. Therefore, it was not a change in my windows drivers, it is a problem with the latest iTunes release.

Thank you for working with me to solve this, I've recently finished classes and finally have the time to actually tackle this issue.

When will the next iTunes update roll out?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.