Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

using iPhone to track elderly parent

OK. so i googled this and thought to throw it out to the mac cognescenti. advance apologies if this is not the right forum for this but apple seems to come up with great useful new tools very frequently. anyway, here goes:

is there good hardware or software to track an elderly parent that may need to be tracked for their own safety? i mean, assuming they give permission and/or assuming they are beyond the point where they can give permission is there such a thing as a little bracelet that will let me do this using my iphone and some kind of software?

find my iphone seems like it does something similar, however this is assuming the battery on the phone is not dead and assuming they take the phone with them which are both big assumptions - is that correct?

ALSO, i just saw there was a setting for friends and family on icloud.com but does anyone know how this works? can i just turn it on on his phone and have access to where he is when his phone is with him and when his battery is on? i mean, how is this different than just logging in to his/her icloud account using the safari icloud.com url - assuming they gave you their login information?

THANKS

iPhone 6, iOS 8

Posted on Apr 20, 2016 6:06 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 20, 2016 6:22 PM

Find My iPhone is similar to Find My iPhone, it is for using with people you do not have access to their iCloud ID. Either way, you cannot track them if the battery is dead, or if the device is turned off. Find My iPhone is the best choice you have right now.

7 replies

Apr 20, 2016 6:22 PM in response to ChrisJ4203

hi. just so i understand - can i have him turn ON the friends and family SHARE setting and let my sister be able to locate him /without/ his icloud login info?

also. i DO have his icloud login info since i had to set the new phone up as a replacement for his lost phone. so i CAN log in to icloud.com on my laptop. do you know if there is a way to do this on /my/ iphone?

THANKS

Apr 20, 2016 6:26 PM in response to hotwheels22

I answered that one on your other post. You would log into Find My iPhone with his iCloud ID in Find My iPhone on your device. As far as Find My Friends, you should look at this. About Find My Friends - Apple Support

It is better for you to read through that than try to explain all of it for your sister to set up and use, since you would have to help your parents set it up on their device too.

Apr 20, 2016 6:38 PM in response to ChrisJ4203

ok. thanks. apologies for the cross post.

however i am not able to use find my iphone APP on my iphone. it tells me i am using a wrong login or password.

if i try and enter the icloud.com url it /appears/ to redirect to the app.

so the reason to post to the iphone forum in addition to the OSX forum is in case anyone knows what is going on.

do you know what i mean?

i mean:

1. is there an APP on the laptop that i can access find my iphone or do i only do it within safari on icloud.com?

2. is there a way to access the icloud.com URL on my IPHONE and not have it redirect to the app?

3. does anyone know why entering the correct login and pass on my IPHONE does not work when entering this exact same information on my LAPTOP on the icloud.com URL /does/ work?

THANKS

Apr 20, 2016 7:35 PM in response to hotwheels22

1. You have to access Find My iPhone on the computer via Safari and iCloud.

2. No

3. That one is hard to answer, since the Find My iPhone app is to help you track other devices, not necessarily your own. Did you sign out of your iCloud ID in the Find My iPhone app on your iPhone? It doesn't make sense that you cannot log into Find My iPhone app on your device with his information.

Apr 20, 2016 7:35 PM in response to ChrisJ4203

hi chris,

thanks for the good information. also thanks for the great help.

i was writing a long explanation of what was not working with #3 by doing a step by step through this and finally figured out how to fix it. at one point i thought i might have to log out of ICLOUD in the iCloud settings but it turns out i just had to do the following.

1. open Find iPhone app and get "Find My iPhone" login dialog.

2. use MY login information and access location or /my/ phone.

3. logout.

4. enter my dad's information and the app lets me see his info (and again this will not work if you just enter his info if you run into this problem).

this is a big help since if i get a call from my sister or his wife i can get into this quickly next time.

again BIG THANKS (and hopefully this will be helpful to someone coming along later...).

using iPhone to track elderly parent

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.