Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

What to do when iTunes destroys playlists after syncing

I just updated my iphone6s to OD 9.3.1. I just updated my iTunes account yesterday.12.3.3, I think. It' the latest as of 4/20/2016. I wanted to sync my phone because I'd purchased a couple of cd's that I wanted in my library and on my phone. This used to be a simple task. But, not anymore. It simply did not sync the cd's to my phone. So, then I selected Music, and sync. I did get a warning that it would erase my phone and copy my library back to my phone because I had more than one library (which I do not, unless the update created another one). Even, if by some magic fairy dust I had more than one library, the one on my screen was EXACTLY what was on my phone, except for the 3 darn playlists that would never go from my phone to my library. So, I stupidly selected, Yes, continue. I'm fuming because it destroyed every single playlist I had! Those playlists were in the library I synced to. I have an old phone that I can possibly figure out how to recreate the playlists, but it appears some of my music is missing, take Christmas music for instance. It's the only type I can easily determine is missing because I had it in a playlist and now it's empty and the music is gone, except for the last album I purchased on iTunes. I think anything that was ever on a cd is gone. I spent years building this darn library and playlists, and I can't even tell what is missing! Who the heck has 2500 songs memorized? I thought Apple had finally quit having these types of horrifying problems, but I guess not. I haven't had problems in about two years, and now, it's back to doing utterly inexplicable things. When I first started using iTunes years ago, it was user friendly, and now it is the exact opposite of that! I buy most of my darn music from iTunes! This particular music wasn't sold on iTunes! So, if they don't allow it to sync, don't pull it into my library! I don't play music off of my computer! Other than recreating playlists from my old phone, and forever wondering what the heck else is missing because I CANNOT go through that many songs one by one! I have chronic severe headaches and thanks to Apple, it's a humdinger tonight!!!!!! My kids just tell me to stream whatever I want to listen to. I like having music I can pick from, something at list I can keep (aka my library) so I can remember to play some old favorites sometimes. I know this is just a lost cause, but I'm too furious to not vent into cyberspace

iPhone 6s, iOS 9.3.1

Posted on Apr 20, 2016 8:38 PM

7 replies

Apr 21, 2016 10:38 AM in response to turingtest2

Not much other media. A few books from Kindle, and a movie I downloaded from Kindle. I was so upset last night that I didn't even realize how much music it lost too. When I compared it to my old phone, which has 27 GB of music to the 16 GB I have now, I feel especially doomed. I honestly don't know what happened. When I tried to sync it, not much happened. Took 5 seconds. Then, I selected Music, and I watched it copy music from my phone to my library for almost an hour. So, when I got a warning stating that I had 2 libraries, and it would erase my phone and put what was in the current library on my phone, I didn't think it would mess up anything because it had just copied all of my new songs I'd purchased along with EVERY song on my phone. (I'd never seen it do that before.) So, stupidly, I assumed all the songs that it just imported from my phone would go back to my phone when synced.

Thanks for your assistance, I'll give that a try. Nothing I do now will make it worse!

Apr 28, 2016 3:24 PM in response to KATHRYN8888

Worked fabulously!!!!!! Thank you soooooooo much!!!!!! It only has one odd quirk, but I can live with it. One of the cd's shows it synced, but it actually didn't. When my phone is attached to my computer, it shows that cd listed under my music on my device. But it is definitely not. Fortunately, it is on my Recently Added playlist, so I just put that album in it's own playlist. Hey, whatever works!

Thanks again from a formerly insanely angry person!!!

What to do when iTunes destroys playlists after syncing

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.