Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I am the orignal owner of my imac but not recognised as such

Hi,

I am the original owner of my Imac bought several years ago. Since then I have changed credit cards and address and now cannot

get updates to the operating system as the Apple ID does not recognise me as the original owner.

Is there anything I can do about this?

Thanks.

iMac, OS X El Capitan (10.11.4)

Posted on Apr 21, 2016 1:11 AM

9 replies

Apr 26, 2016 8:30 AM in response to Dah•veed

It is indeed a different and I don't remember the one I used originally.

I have a current Apple ID but I only want to use it for the Ipad. This is linked to the same email address that I would

have used for setting up the intial ID when I bought the Mac. I don't know whether this is a problem or not.

Would it be worth contacting Apple directly perhaps?

Thanks.

Apr 26, 2016 9:15 AM in response to Dah•veed

Thanks.

So, thinking it through, in that case the ID I have on the Ipad is the same as the one I had originally on the Mac and I've just updated the credit card information, address etc.

Would this be enough for them not to recognise me as the original owner or is something else going on? Perhaps I did use a different email after all . . .

it's so long ago and I didn't really think it was that important.

Can you see any way out of this?

Thanks.

Apr 26, 2016 9:21 AM in response to linwill

Let's return to your original post -

I am the original owner of my Imac bought several years ago. Since then I have changed credit cards and address and now cannot

get updates to the operating system as the Apple ID does not recognise me as the original owner.

What do you mean by this? What, in detail, is happening for you to make that determination? Why do you believe that it would be associated with having changed bank card information? The more details that you can give, plus any screenshots of alert windows, would be important.

Apr 28, 2016 8:32 AM in response to Dah•veed

Here's the alert I get when I try to install some updates.

Not being an expert but a mere user, the only explanation I could come up with was the change in credit card etc.

I have two different Apple IDS . . one for the Ipad linked to a UK address and one for the Mac linked to an Italian address. They are associated with different email addresses.

And that's it . . . I can't think of any more information.

I appreciate your help . . . but I'm coming round to the idea that I'll just have to live with it.

Thanks.

User uploaded file

I am the orignal owner of my imac but not recognised as such

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.