Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacBook Pro wont boot into OS X after dual booting with windows 8.1 via Boot Camp.

hello i came here after trying to find a way out to boot into mac os x. Google was very confusing..i am hoping to get my problem sorted out here..hope you guys can help me out.

I installed windows 8.1 via Boot Camp and it installed successfully on my MBP. Windows works like charm with all the necessary drivers installed via Boot Camp. The problem is when i tried to reboot and get into my Mac OS El Capitan it crashes. I held down the "options" button when i restarted the laptop and it showed me both operating system to choose from. "Macintosh HD" and "Windows". When i clicked on Macintosh hd it showed the apple logo and loading progress and then suddenly it crashed with lots of error writings on the start up apple logo page.

When i click in Windows it boots into windows 8 but i am unable to use my Mac OS. Is there anything i can do to get my Mac OS working again.

MacBook Pro, Windows 8

Posted on Apr 21, 2016 7:26 AM

10 replies

Apr 22, 2016 11:28 PM in response to Loner T

hello..i would like to add a comment on scenario that i went through while installing windows via bootcamp .....

i saw a partition called "bootcamp" and the allocated space i assigned to windows which was 299GB. But when i clicked"bootcamp" to proceed with the installation it did not show me the "next" button visible to proceed with the installation. It showed a message under saying something like windows cannot be installed in this type of partition or something ..i am not so sure what the exact message was..so i clicked the format button on bootcamp and wala i was able to proceed with the installation. I am guessing now that must have created the problem here?

Apr 24, 2016 10:36 AM in response to Loner T

User uploaded file

i get both these options when i press the "options button" at start up..

User uploaded file

then i get this message soon after i click "macinthos HD" option. It says " your computer restarted because of a problem,Press a key or wait a few seconds to continue starting up"

then i press any random key and the next pic comes in ..

User uploaded file

this error message while loading ... then it goes back to restarting the laptop all over again ...and then boots right into windows ! ... emmm ... i have no idea what to do now ..i had lots of important files on my mac os .... is this any way fixable ??

Apr 24, 2016 12:13 PM in response to hermon_1989

Command+R - Local Recovery

Command+Opt+R - Internet Recovery

Shift - Safe Mode

There is a list here - Startup key combinations for Mac - Apple Support

Starting up in safe mode

Follow these steps to start up into safe mode.

1. Start or restart your Mac.
  2. Immediately after you hear the startup sound, press and hold the Shift key.
  3. Release the Shift key when you see the Apple logo appear on the screen.

After the Apple logo appears, it might take longer than usual to reach the login screen or your desktop. This is because your Mac performs a directory check of your startup disk as part of safe mode.

The general keyboard short cuts are - Mac keyboard shortcuts - Apple Support .

Apr 25, 2016 2:51 PM in response to Loner T

no resort till now ...MBP doesnt go into safe mode when i press down shift key..mbr just ignores it and moves ahead ....i was able to get into recovery mode tho...{cmd+r} but then again ...what should i do there?? i do not have time machine recovery or anything to restore mbp ...does this mean i have lost all my mbp files and have to re-install el capitan all over again ? ....oh my

Apr 25, 2016 3:03 PM in response to hermon_1989

In Local Recovery (Command+R), if you re-install OSX, it leaves the non-OS files untouched.

If you feel safer another alternative is - How to install OS X on an external drive connected to your Mac - Apple Support - and booting from this external disk. Please ensure that you pick the external disk as a destination, if you chose this method. This can be done using Local Recovery and it will provide the same version of OSX on your internal disk.

Internet Recovery will, however, install the version of OSX shipped originally with your Mac.

My recommendation is to use Local Recovery and install OSX on an external disk, and boot from it. This will allow checking your internal disk for your files.

Apr 27, 2016 9:11 AM in response to hermon_1989

ok ..so i got in touch with Apple chat support and finally we worked out a solution...and now both my OS works.. Mac OS X finally works with all the files and info untouched ! and my Windows 8.1 Pro also works excellent via dual boot.

ok so if any of you have faced the same problem as mine i will tell you what i did to overcome this scenario. i restarted my mbp and went into recovery mode by holding "cmd+R" button at restart till i heard apple logo and start up sound ... then i went into recovery mode ..and selected "disk utility".

User uploaded file

as you can see there are two partitions. One for Mac OS X el capitan in "Macintosh HD partition" and Windows 8.1 pro in "Bootcamp partition". You can clearly see that Macintosh HD is showing full volume used and no available data can be modified or tampered with. I learned it while having a chat with Apple chat support that i have used "filevault" to encrypt my hardisk !.... view image below.

User uploaded file

it shows "zero KB" available since its filevault protected...so i had to first unlock it. To do that i clicked the "file" option of Disk Utility and clicked "unlock" and i entered my admin password and unlocked Macintosh HD.

User uploaded file

i first clicked on the whole HDD and ran first aid check on it...it showed the above result...

After this i clicked the "first aid" button above in Disk Utility on Macintosh HD and it automatically checked in for disk errors and did its check up and it came out successfully for me. and i restarted my mac and it booted straight into Mac OS X el Capitan. (sorry i did not take image of it as i got too carried away with happiness).

MacBook Pro wont boot into OS X after dual booting with windows 8.1 via Boot Camp.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.