Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Time Machine Backup Error

I backup my iMac using Time Machine to a time capsule. For the last couple of days I have been receiving the error:

Time Machine An error occurred while copying files. The problem may be temporary. If the problem persists, use Disk Utility to repair your backup disk.

I can see the Time Capsule in the Finder and have disconnected and reconnected which didn't resolve the problem. Using Airport Utility, I can see the Time Capsule in both Ethernet and Wi-Fi have green lights. I have also turned the Time Capsule off and then on again in Time Machine preferences. Still no go.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance,

-Chris

iMac, OS X El Capitan (10.11.4), iMac16,2

Posted on Apr 21, 2016 9:58 AM

6 replies

Apr 25, 2016 4:21 PM in response to Chris Canaday

Well, it turned out that the reset did not solve the problem. I replied before the backup was finished but it failed again. I decided to reformat the Time Capsule and try again. However, since I didn't want to go backup-less, I plugged in a brand new USB hard drive and pointed Time Machine to it. Time Machine failed to back up to that drive as well. Seems like the problem is with Time Machine, not the storage media. BTW, This is a brand new iMac that I restored from the Time Capsule but it's looking like the backup was from last January.

Time Machine Backup Error

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.