Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPad tells me I MUST change my "unlock passcode at this time"

User uploaded file

my iPad is giving me a pop up message forcing me to change my passcode. It will not let me do anything unless I change my passcode and does not give me an option to do it later. I haven't been able to use my ipad for 3 days because I can't go past it and I refuse to enter my passcode into the pop up message because it looks fishy... I have heard/read about a similar problem with the iPhone with an option to do it later, but haven't seen anyone talk about this with the iPad. Please help. I last updated my iPad about a month ago and have never had any issues with it. It's a personal iPad (not corporate)

iPad Mini, iOS 9.3.1

Posted on Apr 21, 2016 12:25 PM

41 replies

Apr 21, 2016 12:56 PM in response to KezCas

IF you were using the Safari browser when you first saw this message do the following:

1. Quit Safari like this: To quit an app double click the Home button to reveal the app switcher. Flick up on the page preview of the app you want to quit. The page preview will fly away and disappear. That quits the app.

2. Use the Settings app to Clear history and Data. Settings > Safari > Clear History and Data.

3. Reset the iPad. Press and hold both the Home button and the Sleep/Wake button continuously until the Apple logo appears. Then release the button and let the device restart. You will not lose data doing this. It's like a computer reboot.

Apr 21, 2016 3:03 PM in response to Ralph9430

Pressing the Home and Lock buttons at the same time should NOT be used as a way to restart iOS devices unless they are "locked up". If the OP is able to navigate their way around the OS like you've outlined in step 2, then step 3 provided zero benefit and will reset all of the network information and require adding things like WiFi passwords again.

Too many times I see this being suggested as a restart mechanism and it is NOT appropriate to do under almost all circumstances. If a reset of network connections is what you're actually suggesting, and the OP can navigate the device, then that should be accomplished using that option under Settings -> General -> Reset

Apr 21, 2016 3:19 PM in response to Ralph9430

I was not on any apps when that happened... I just grabbed my ipad and as soon as I entered my 4 digit code the messaged popped up, which prevents me from doing anything at all... I can't even use the camera or the timer from the locked screen unless I "change my passcode"... I took that picture with my phone.... That said, I can't get to my settings or anything period

Apr 21, 2016 3:23 PM in response to KezCas

Since you were obviously not in Safari there are two possibilities here: You received that as a hacked flash message, in which case you should ignore it or you have a work provided exchange email account on your iPhone and they have a profile on your phone that requires you to periodically change your passcode.

Apr 21, 2016 3:39 PM in response to deggie

My first instinct was to ignore it, but I cannot get past it. My iPad is literally held hostage to that pop up message. I either can't use it or have to "change passcode", which I refuse to do. This is a personal iPad and I only use it for educational purposes so no work related exchange accounts

Apr 21, 2016 3:45 PM in response to deggie

It's my personal iPad and I am in school and I only use it for school, not work related. No, when I press continue, it gives me another pop up window saying "To change your passcode, fist enter your current passcode." so it doesn't take me anywhere, am still practically locked out of my own iPad... SO FRUSTRATING

Apr 21, 2016 4:05 PM in response to KezCas

If this is a personal iPad, never been jailbroken, it should be fine to proceed. If you're really worried about leaking the current passcode info, unplug your WiFi router. Perhaps I'm wrong but if bad guys on the internet does get your passcode, what can they do with it without physical access to your device?

iPad tells me I MUST change my "unlock passcode at this time"

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.