Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

how to wipe hard drive to recycle computer

I have a 2004 Ibook G4. I want to wipe the system clean of my information so I can safely recycle it. My disc drive does not work so am unable to use any of the discs that came with the computer. How can I clean all my info from the hard drive?

iOS 7.1.1, G4 iPhone

Posted on Apr 21, 2016 5:00 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 21, 2016 5:02 PM

Read What to do before selling or giving away your Mac - Apple Support

3 replies

Apr 22, 2016 12:08 PM in response to CJH

If the computer could still start in Target Disk Mode, and be seen as an external hard drive

by another Apple computer that could connect back to the old G4 by correct cabling, to the

FireWire port on the iBook, then you could see if that old semi-failed hard drive could be

erased by using Disk Utility in the working computer.

To be able to erase the content should be adequate if the drive can be seen by another Mac.

The computer may be still usable to someone who likes the older models, and if the only thing

not working is the original hard disk drive, someone could want the computer to fix & use it.

Someone may be willing to remove the hard drive for you, in trade for the computer. Or for

a technician to do so, would cost. It may be worth considering while the iBook is open, to

have a known-good replacement hard drive installed. The labor is near similar, once inside.

For a bare-drive to connect to a working computer, so as to try & erase or reformat (or access)

a common item is a wire kit something along the lines of this; other companies offer a like kit:

• Universal drive adapter USB kit: http://eshop.macsales.com/item/NewerTech/U3NVSPATA/

Fairly much the same info on how to prepare for sale, or give away, or donate will apply;

except for the part where the original internal drive doesn't function. Here's another sunny

day method for disposal http://www.thesafemac.com/how-to-prepare-your-mac-for-sale/

Sometimes an older computer may have some life left in it; however the older hard drive ATA

IDE (Parallel ATA, not SATA) may be more difficult to find. An authorized Apple service provider

may have some known-good used pulls, but for the effort, if resorting is intended, replace a

bad drive with new. If the vintage obsolete computer does not have any other issues pending.

Once the old hard drive is removed, in any case, you could choose specific other methods to

make the information on it inaccessible by most conventional means. A big hammer, maybe?

In any event...

Good luck & happy computing! 🙂

Apr 24, 2016 11:54 AM in response to CJH

You could get an new original replacement optical drive, and repair the computer;

then it would have a little value for someone as a computer. That could be a bit of

work; however not impossible. Parts are available from ifixit, powerbookmedic, &

other sources whose business is to repair newer & older vintage computers.

• iBook G4 Repair Guides - iFixit:

https://www.ifixit.com/Device/iBook_G4

example:

https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/iBook+G4+14-Inch+933+MHz-1.33+GHz+Optical+Drive+Rep lacement/190

The Target Disk Mode could allow the internal HDD to be erased from an external

second computer, if you have access to one with FireWire ports & a FW Cable...

• How to use and troubleshoot FireWire target disk mode - Apple Support

An Apple User Group or a school with a computer science class where they also learn

how to take apart, repair, upgrade computers, may be a place to ask about help to fix

or erase/restore the system before disposal (give away with new OS X install). To use

an external FW optical superdrive instead of replacement of bad internal, would be next.

Sometimes an optical drive may just need to be properly cleaned. A slot-loading DVD

CD drive can be cleaned with the flat side of a credit card and a micro-fiber lens cloth.

In any event...

Good luck & happy computing! 🙂

how to wipe hard drive to recycle computer

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.