Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

FCP 5.1 choppy on older Mac

Hi there and thanks for reading!

I have an older, and i mean older, mac

OS x version 10.5.8

2 GHz power pc G5

1 GB DDR sdRam

Final Cut Pro 5.1 [yes, I know it's old, but I needed to match what they had at the public access station]

Lately my Final Cut has been running choppy. Doesn't matter if I restart. To that end, I dropped a bunch of stuff off the harddrive, so it could work better. Now I have 65 gb available and have used 168 on harddrive. Still the same problem, with no improvement whatsoever.

I also am getting the "Spinning Wheel of Death" almost any time I try to do anything on the program. Render times are unbelievably long and doing chromakey or luma key with other special effects is almost impossible because of the slow times. Also the program will not even play some stuff, but just spins [i.e.the spinning wheel of death] and then jumps ahead - eventually after a minute or so.

Until recently, this was a great machine and I was able to do lots of stuff with it, including editing a feature film.

If you have thoughts or insights for me, that'd be great!

Final Cut Pro 6, Mac OS X (10.5.8)

Posted on Apr 21, 2016 5:25 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 22, 2016 5:12 AM

While 1GB of RAM satisfies the minimum requirement, I'm certain more RAM would help.

Open Activity Monitor, Show:>All Processes, sort on CPU%, see if anything using too much CPU% when this happens, click on Memory tab, do you have many Pageouts?

Open Console in Applications>Utilities & see if there are any clues or repeating messages when this happens.

14 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 22, 2016 5:12 AM in response to Medieval Denizen

While 1GB of RAM satisfies the minimum requirement, I'm certain more RAM would help.

Open Activity Monitor, Show:>All Processes, sort on CPU%, see if anything using too much CPU% when this happens, click on Memory tab, do you have many Pageouts?

Open Console in Applications>Utilities & see if there are any clues or repeating messages when this happens.

Apr 23, 2016 9:41 AM in response to BDAqua

Hey, thanks for the pic! And for the reply. I really appreciate your help!

I am looking in activity monitor, system memory and the page outs are 120.00 kb.

Now, looking in Console, I do see "bad cpu type in executable" as a message over and over again.

The CPU usage is 2.30 to 12.15

%system is 2.28 - 3.74

% idle is 0-96.00

Threads 228

Processes 54

This is all greek to me, but perhaps it means something to you????

Have a nice day.

Medieval Denizen

Apr 23, 2016 8:51 PM in response to Medieval Denizen

If you need further help diagnosing this...

Click on the top line we want, Shift plus click on the bottom line we want, CMD+c to copy, then paste the text in a reply with CMD+v

A few dozen lines should be about right, hundreds or thousands won't likely be readable

Apr 25, 2016 11:22 AM in response to BDAqua

No problemo!

The FCP program is 5.1

I got that older program because I wanted to match what my local public access television station had so I could edit there, too.

In reading about FCP and the message "Bad CPU" it seems there is a basic incompatibility between the mac and the fcp program. However, I did not have a problem with the mac running slow and choppy until recently. I do not take the computer out on the web, so there's no chance of a virus.

It does take forever to render files, in addition to having to render or convert original footage. I did not have to do this 6 months ago. I am working on a FCP file that has alot of chromakey, luma key and special effects in it.

Appreciate any help on this.

FCP 5.1 choppy on older Mac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.