Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't launch Apps on my PowerBook G4

Hi my PowerBook G4 won't launch any apps I can move files around to save them to other disk but can't launch anything. And, if I click more than a few times the spinning rainbow spins forever.....I'm hoping to reset or somehow fix this without wiping out my current programs. I have backed up files. I'm not sure if I have backed up the applications - it seemed too easy? Do I need the start up CD, for starters? I really want to keep this ol' baby alive, its got some great apps and does help as an old work horse combined with my new mac.....Thanks in advance.

PowerBook, iOS 9.3.1

Posted on Apr 21, 2016 9:00 PM

6 replies

Apr 21, 2016 9:04 PM in response to fionafromhcmc

If you have not already, restart your Mac.

If that does not resolve the problem, try starting up in Safe Mode (which is starting up with Shift key held down).

Try safe mode if your Mac doesn't finish starting up - Apple Support

Are you able to launch apps in Safe Mode?

For backing up your Mac's drive, does your PowerBook run Leopard (10.5) or Tiger (10.4) or something earlier? Do you have an external drive that can hold the content of the internal drive?

Apr 21, 2016 10:19 PM in response to Kenichi Watanabe

Hi Kenichi, yes, it has started up in Safe mode, however, I cannot remember my password! So, the install disc maybe the next step?

I have a lovely new seagate 1T external hard drive, so no problems with backing up. I have dropped my application onto it already - but it seemed too easy - is there anything else I need to back up (other than files) in order to restore it all back onto my PowerBook (once I have put my hands on an install CD)?

Thanks..

Apr 21, 2016 11:29 PM in response to fionafromhcmc

however, I cannot remember my password!

If you don't know the admin user account password, that's a problem. That's essentially a separate problem, probably more serious than not being able to launch apps. You need that password for many things, including installing new apps and changing system level settings.

It does not work to simple copy the Applications folder to an external drive, because some apps have required components at other locations, such as in the Library folder. Some apps install system extensions. The only reliable way to back up your startup disk is to back it up completely, not piecemeal.

I asked which version of Mac OS X you are using... If it's Leopard, you can back up the entire startup disk using Time Machine to a backup archive (on the external drive), which you can later use as your data source for "migration" into your new system. Or, if it's Tiger (or Leopard), you can use the built-in Disk Utility (while started up from a Mac OS X installation disc) to duplicate the startup disk to the external drive (or create a disk image file of your startup disk). However, there's a problem, if you don't know the user account password. I don't think you'll be able to use the automated Migration Assistant process to migrate your apps and data to the new system, if you don't know the password for the user account you are migrating.

You should definitely back up your user data (the files in your user account home folder). You can also back up your apps; some of them are drag and drop to install. Install a fresh system and restore your user data. Then, try to restore your third-party apps (one at a time), but for the ones that don't work, you'll need to reinstall them completely from their original source.

(Write the admin user account password down and keep it at a secret location, so that you do not forget it.)

Apr 22, 2016 4:23 AM in response to Kenichi Watanabe

Hi Kenichi, seems my problem is getting deeper. .. ! Thanks for your suggestions, there is hope as the computer is so old I may have the discs and the password archived in storage, so then I'll follow up with what ever I can.

So far today I haven't been able to access the "about" to find which version of Mac OS X. I'll try again. And then try to back up properly.

Thanks again 🙂

Can't launch Apps on my PowerBook G4

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.