Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

safari 6.1.1 does not play youtube videos. Can someone help me please? Problem started today.

Hi

Today my MBP, Safari 6.1.1. stopped playing youtube vids. Youtube says safari is out of date. What must i do? Thank you.

MacBook Pro (15-inch Mid 2012), OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.5)

Posted on Apr 22, 2016 4:24 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 22, 2016 6:25 AM

Either upgrade the OS to a more current version or try another browser which is more up-to-date.

Firefox

Opera Browser

5 replies

Apr 22, 2016 7:18 AM in response to toby59

I have an early 2008 iMac running El Capitan and have no problems. I would make sure you have at least 4 GB of RAM and more is better. The 2 places I’ve seen recommended most to buy reliable RAM are below. I have purchased RAM several times from Other World Computing and have always been very satisfied with the product and service. They have on-line instructions on how to replace the RAM. OWC has also tested RAM above what Apple states is the maximum. I now have 6GB installed on a early 2008 iMac supposedly limited to 4 GB and noticed an improvement.

Crucial

Other World Computing

One option is to create a new partition (~30- 50 GB), install the new OS, and ‘test drive’ it. If you like/don’t like it it, you can then remove the partition. Do a backup before you do anything. By doing this, if you don’t like it you won’t have to go though the revert process.

Check to make sure your applications are compatible.

Application Compatibility

Applications Compatibility (2)

El Capitan 10.11 Compatibility information

Open Disk Utility, select your hard drive (step 1), then the Partition tab (step 2), and select the partition. Using the /// at the bottom move it up (step 3) until the size box decrease by about 50 GB. Select the newly created space and hit the + button (step 4). Name it something and select Mac OS Extended (Journaled) as the format (step 5). Then hit the Apply button(step 6). Download the installer from the App Store and when it starts, point it at the new partition. You might want to make a copy of the installer outside the Applications folder to avoid having to re-download it in the future. Once installed, go to System Preferences/Startup Disk, select the new partition and reboot. Test away.

Apr 23, 2016 12:36 AM in response to Eric Root

hi again,

i have safari 6.2.8 installed. and now i can watch youtube vids again.

but when i boot my computer, some tabs from my previous session do not open, like hotmail and facebook.

nytimes opens, as does washington post. and i get the pinwheel for a long time. i can open those pages simply

by typing in the address, but its annoying.

any ideas?

thank you kindly.

safari 6.1.1 does not play youtube videos. Can someone help me please? Problem started today.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.