Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I update an original iphone to the current IOS?

I cannot figure out how to update the IOS in my son's original iphone. It has a 4.21 IOS and I need to update the IOS to use Whatsapp. Can someone please guide me through the process, step by step?

Original iPhone-OTHER, iOS 4.2

Posted on Apr 22, 2016 9:03 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 22, 2016 9:19 AM

iOS 4.2.1 was the last version that could be run on an iPhone 3G. Which is not an original iPhone.

The first iPhone, the iPhone 1 could not be updated past version 3.1.3

But without knowing exactly what iPhone you are referring to its hard to say what it can be updated to.

If it's any iPhone before the 4s, (1,3G,3Gs,4) then it cannot be updated to the most current version of iOS.

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 22, 2016 9:19 AM in response to CalRoman

iOS 4.2.1 was the last version that could be run on an iPhone 3G. Which is not an original iPhone.

The first iPhone, the iPhone 1 could not be updated past version 3.1.3

But without knowing exactly what iPhone you are referring to its hard to say what it can be updated to.

If it's any iPhone before the 4s, (1,3G,3Gs,4) then it cannot be updated to the most current version of iOS.

Apr 22, 2016 9:25 AM in response to CalRoman

CalRoman wrote:

How do I find out what phone/IOS it is please? Under "About",it says it is a version 4.2.1, and Model MB048LL, with 14.5 GB. Thank you so kindly!

You could google the model number....

That would tell you that it's an iPhone 3G. 4.2.1 is the end of the line for that device. It's obsolete. It's way past time to replace it if you need to run anything remotely current on it.

Apr 22, 2016 10:18 AM in response to CalRoman

Unfortunately, the 3G is simply now to old to run anything remotely recent. Most messaging apps will require at least iOS 6.

After 8 years, there's not much that can be downloaded onto it.

Even the "Install the Latest compatible version of an App" feature that is available requires iOS 4.3.3 at least to get older Apps.

Install the latest compatible version of an app on an earlier version of iOS or OS X - Apple Support

There's really not much that can be done at this point with it. Its 8 years old, and time to change it. You can probably get a cheap iPhone 4s that can run the most recent Apps.

How do I update an original iphone to the current IOS?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.