Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Airplay doesn't work on other devices when Apple TV is streaming Airplay.

I have the following Setup

1. Two Marantz receivers(One in Media room and other in Living area) - Both support Airplay.
  2. Bowers and Wilkins A7 speaker(also supports Airplay)

The above configuration worked perfect until I added AppleTV to the configuration.

If I am Streaming Netflix from my iPad to Apple TV then I can't play my songs from my iPhone to any of the B&W A7 speaker or any of the receivers. Looks like their network is down altogether.

I turn off apple tv and everything is back to business.

Are they any known issues with Airplay or Apple TV in this regards?

AppleTV 2, iOS 9.3.1

Posted on Apr 22, 2016 9:31 AM

10 replies

Apr 22, 2016 10:07 AM in response to sriimman

Seems like an issue with your wireless router. I am currently listening to music from an iPad over Airplay through an Airport Express while watching video Airplayed from my mirrored iPad Air on the ATV. I am even typing this response on Airplay.

In your specific example case, Netflix is a native app on the ATV so you can watch video directly on the ATV to work around your network issue until you get it resolved.

Make sure you do the standard response which includes power cycling all the network gear such as modems, routers, your Airplay devices including the ATV before you scratch your head more...

Apr 22, 2016 10:15 AM in response to Vinceassociate

ok, I listen to a lot of music in my office and Living space using Airplay all the time and Yes, I did power cycle all my modems, routers, switches. Everything works fine until I do Airplay on my ATV. Yes, using the native App is a workaround for Netflix but I play from my iPhone, MBP so it depends.

BTW, to eliminate the issue I am not using WiFi from the equation, connected all my devices using ethernet cable(Hardwired).

Apr 22, 2016 10:29 AM in response to sriimman

You say you're not using wifi, but you are using it for iPad and iPhone. Some routers cause trouble with AirPlay discovery between wifi and ethernet.

Are all your components on the same network? Can iPhone "see" the receivers in its airplay popup menu? How about if you pause the video?

All traffic must go through your router and internet connection. Could it be that the video data is just clogging the pipe somewhere? It appears that your new ATV is your first step into video streaming. You mentioned that you power cycled all of your modems and routers. Just how complicated is this network, anyway?

Apr 23, 2016 9:35 AM in response to Diana.McCall

Ok. I still see the problem even after disabling wifi from my router.

Here are the devices and connections that I have

Living Room:

1. Verizon ActionTec Router
  2. Marantz receiver(capable of airplay)(hard Wired to router)
  3. AppleTV(Hard wired to router) with HDMI connected to marantz router

Theatre Room:

1. Netgear Router(N900) Acting as Network switch and wireless access point so all my Wifi connections are going to connect here. This is hardwired into the ActionTec Router
  2. Marantz receiver(capable of airplay)(hard Wired to Netgear)
  3. ChromeCase (wifi connected to Netgear) connected to Marantz receiver.

Bedrrom:

Chromecast(wifi connected to Netgear) directly connected to TV

Ipads and iPhones - All connected to Netgear wifi.

I was reading in other forums about Verizon ActionTec router and someone suggested to have a network switch in between all the devices and the ActionTec router. I am going to try that and see if that fixes the issue.

Apr 23, 2016 10:32 AM in response to sriimman

Wow!

I assume the ActionTec is the only DHCP server for the network.

If both routers are providing DHCP, then your devices may not technically be on the same network. What are the IP addresses of the different devices? I don't know what it means to have two routers in cascade like this. A router routes traffic between different networks.

So now the problem is that you're using AirPlay to send Netflix from your wireless iPad to ATV wired to your internet headend. It will actually hand the Netflix stream off to the ATV, which will download directly from Netflix (assuming you're not using mirroring). Depending on the speed of your internet connection, this may use a lot of bandwidth. Can your iPhone still "see" the other AirPlay devices, or do,they disappear completely? Did you need to use bluetooth on iPad to make the AirPlay connection?

If the ActionTec is serving as a DSL modem, I'd prefer to disable its routing capability, and make Netgear the main router for your house. Use wifi or wired as appropriate for the devices. Do your receivers not handle wifi?

Apr 23, 2016 1:54 PM in response to sriimman

After further study, i think:

You could get a switch for the Theater room. Connect it to the ActionTec with the wire now feeding the Netgear. Connect your wired devices to the switch or ActionTec, as appropriate. The switch will be working like a multiline splitter. Note that all Theater traffic will be carried over one network wire. Use Gigabit switch and port, if possible. (This is the same as your current setup, no better or worse.)

Assuming you prefer to use the Netgear for wifi (better performance, better location, etc.), you can configure it as an Access Point. Connect it to an ethernet port at either location, and use it for all your wifi. Again, this means you wifi clients will be sharing one connection to the network, same as they are now. I believe, but cannot confirm, that this will put the wifi clients on the same network as the wired devices. Docs indicate that the Access Point disables its DHCP server, so the wifi IP addresses must come from the primary router.

This will clean up your network configuration. If you want to support two wifi networks, you might even be able to enable the ActionTec wifi also, using different wifi channels, of course.

Sometimes there's a problem with older routers not handling AirPlay discovery between wifi and wireless, but that should not be a problem here.

Why did your previous configuration "work" up to now? You were only using audio AirPlay, which is simpler than video; the device actually downloads the stream from the remote server and transmits it on to the AirPlay receiver. It really does play the music over the "air".

Why does using video AirPlay to ATV block other devices? Beats me, unless it's hogging the internet bandwidth. I'm really not sure how your iPad was able to talk to ATV at all.

Apr 24, 2016 5:40 PM in response to Vinceassociate

Issue is resolved now.

@Vinceassociate I was always using the same router for plugged into ethernet and wifi it on.

@Diana.McCall Thanks for walking me through troubleshooting/advices/suggestions. Yes, my DHCP was always from ActionTec and my Netgear router was basically being used as Network switch and wireless access point. So, the way I initially configured was, no matter what wifi we connected to all the devices are in the same network. I have a network printer to validate that.

Now, the culprit was the ActionTec router. I basically now have one LAN connection from ActionTec to Netgear and then a bunch of network switches to all the hardwired locations. DHCP is still on ActionTec.

I think this is a known issue with the router http://denon.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/1790/~/using-airplay-with-an-a ctiontec-router but I haven't tested it out yet. Not sure what the other issues will be if I disable IGMP

May 7, 2016 8:42 AM in response to sriimman

I spoke too early. Not sure if the issue is my router or my Receiver or Apple TV

Everything seems to be working for a while but then suddenly my receiver loses network connection. There is another receiver in the network which works fine so I am thinking it it not the router and Apple TV always works. Next thing to try is to remove Apple TV from the network for some days and see if my receiver loses network connection.

May 7, 2016 1:08 PM in response to sriimman

Just wondering. Does the receiver actually lose network connection, or does it just become unavailable for AirPlay? Your main router probably can show a list of connected IPs and corresponding MACs. I assume all your AirPlay devices have different names. Loss of network would seem to indicate WiFi interference, but you've said that the receivers are connected via ethernet.

Airplay doesn't work on other devices when Apple TV is streaming Airplay.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.