Newsroom Update

Beginning in May, a special Today at Apple series titled “Made for Business” will offer small business owners and entrepreneurs free opportunities to learn how Apple products and services can support their growth and success. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Xsan -based OS X Server 5.1 questions on the El Capitan 10.11.4

I was set up based on OS X Server 5.1 in Xsan network 10.11.4 on encountered a very strange question . After I installed Xsan 's profile on the workstation workstation can mount San volume , when to restart the workstation after the San can not mount the volume . System Preferences is described in Xsan file still, but they can not mount San volume.Want to delete the profile again to mount San volumes after installation , restart the workstation as long as it can not mount the San volume . Only then delete the profile again to mount San volumes after installation. I do not know if I have encountered the same problem .

Mac Pro, OS X El Capitan (10.11.4)

Posted on Apr 22, 2016 9:41 AM

2 replies

Apr 22, 2016 10:29 AM in response to fu_cj

By any chance is your workstation using a Thunderbolt to Fibre Channel adaptor like the Promise SANLink or the one from ATTO? If so, this is a known issue and both vendors are working to resolve the problem.

From what I've seen, it appears the drivers for the external cases are loading too late in the startup process and the initial mount fails during a boot process. However, if you allow the failed mount to pass and then request the mount again using xsanctl, you will be able to mount the volume. For example:

sudo xsanctl mount SanName

I've created a script for this and allow the machines to mount the volume without user interaction after a 90 second delay.

If you have older Mac Pros with Apple FC cards, they will mount the San volume as expected.

Reid

Apple Consultants Network

Author - "El Capitan Server – Foundation Services"

Author - "El Capitan Server – Control & Collaboration"

Author - "El Capitan Server – Advanced Services"

Xsan -based OS X Server 5.1 questions on the El Capitan 10.11.4

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.