Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Cannot connect to bluehost.com

When I try to go to the web address bluehost.com, I receive the error message that Safari can't establish a secure connection to the bluehost server. I am able to connect to bluehost.com from Firefox and Chrome. I have turned off extensions, removed Library files, removed cookies, and cleared Safari's history with no effect. I can go to bluehost.com on my iPhone. Bluehost tech support suggested that I uninstall and reinstall Safari, but they said I would probably lose all my settings. I don't want that.

iMac (27-inch, Late 2012), OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.5), Mail 6.6

Posted on Apr 22, 2016 10:46 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 22, 2016 10:50 AM

FYI .. the only way to reinstall Safari on a Mac running v10.8 Mountain Lion is to restore OS X using OS X Recovery. That rarely fixes an issue such as not being able to establish a secure connection.

Since you already turned off extensions, try troubleshooting Safari third part plug-ins.

Go to Safari > Preferences. This time select the Security tab. Deselect: Allow plug-ins. Quit and relaunch Safari to test.

If that made a difference, instructions for troubleshooting plugins here.

12 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 22, 2016 10:50 AM in response to StitcherLinda

FYI .. the only way to reinstall Safari on a Mac running v10.8 Mountain Lion is to restore OS X using OS X Recovery. That rarely fixes an issue such as not being able to establish a secure connection.

Since you already turned off extensions, try troubleshooting Safari third part plug-ins.

Go to Safari > Preferences. This time select the Security tab. Deselect: Allow plug-ins. Quit and relaunch Safari to test.

If that made a difference, instructions for troubleshooting plugins here.

Apr 23, 2016 4:11 PM in response to StitcherLinda

You are the original poster on this discussion therefore you are the only one that can mark a discussion as solved and there is no way to reverse that. In the future, please do not mark a discussion as solved until you are satisfied.

One thing that may be causing a conflict with your Mac not connecting to that website is the fact that your Mac is running an outdated OS X v10.8 Mountain Lion which only allows Safari to update to I think Safari 6.

You could try using a different browser for that website such as Firefox.

Unfortunately, the Google Chrome browser requires v10.9 Mavericks or later.

Apr 23, 2016 6:51 PM in response to Carolyn Samit

I apologize, Carolyn. I wasn't aware of marking the discussion solved, though obviously I must have. I will be more careful in the future.

Since making my original post above, I have discovered other quirky misbehaviors of Safari on this computer. In each case, I am able to use Firefox successfully. Chrome also works. I have been reluctant to upgrade to El Capitan on this computer because of my experience with it on another computer, where my Mail program works improperly since upgrading to El Capitan. So far, at least, I have not had those Mail problems with Mountain Lion on this computer. As long as I can do a work-around using Firefox or Chrome, I am reluctant to upgrade to El Capitan here. I know I can't continue being a Luddite forever, though.

Cannot connect to bluehost.com

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.