Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mail window keeps opening without provocation

Since upgrading to OS X 10.11, my Mail window keeps opening without rhyme or reason.

Mail is launched, but its window is closed, then at seemingly random times, the window suddenly opens, disrupting whatever else I was doing at the time. This also happens when Mac is asleep, as the previously closed Mail window is opened upon wake-from-sleep. This is not related to any activity within Mail, such as new email arriving, periodic checks for new email, synchronizing email status with other devices, etc.

Is anyone else experiencing the same issue?

Is there a specific .plist file that I should try deleting?

Thanks.

Mac mini (Late 2012), OS X El Capitan (10.11.4)

Posted on Apr 22, 2016 2:35 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 10, 2017 9:03 AM

I'm having exactly the same problem since installing Sierra - skipped El Capitan where, from other folk's complaints, mail started having problems. FYI, if I minimize the mail window (yellow button in upper left of window when open) it doesn't open randomly.

10 replies

Jun 4, 2017 9:50 AM in response to Rysz

I have the exact same problem with MacOS 10.12.5

The frequency of the problem seems to vary significantly as at times the window reappears within seconds of closing and this cycle repeats well over 6-7 times before I give up and quit the Mail app. Other times it will be open a day or two before having a fit.

I have tried the following remedies without improvement:

1. Quitting and restarting the app

2. Restarting the machine

3. Completely powering off and rebooting machine

Hardware: MBP 8,1 Late 2011

Apr 26, 2016 4:29 PM in response to Rysz

I have had the same problem for some time. It seems longer, but it's probably been since 10.11.

It happens on every computer I have, my rMBP, and my work Macbook Air and iMac. The only thing I know is that it seems to happen when some type of authentication request times out. Like, when it is trying to connect to one of my accounts but runs into an error.

Mail window keeps opening without provocation

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.