Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhoto not responding El Capitan download

Hi !

I recently downloaded El Capitan on my Macbook Pro, and my iPhoto is now not responding and it says it needs an update that is not available.... I have read elsewhere that I should delete and re-download the app, however I don't want to lose all my photos! Will my photos be lost if I do this??

Thanks!

MacBook Pro, OS X El Capitan (10.11.1)

Posted on Apr 22, 2016 9:33 PM

3 replies

Apr 22, 2016 9:53 PM in response to sofialaursen

I have read elsewhere that I should delete and re-download the app, however I don't want to lose all my photos! Will my photos be lost if I do this??

Your photos are in the iPhoto Library and not in the iPhoto Application. Moving the iPhoto Application to the Trash will not delete the photos. Do not run an uninstaller.

But before you do this, check, if you have an iPhoto version that can be updated at all. Open the AppStore and look at your Purchases history. Sign in with the AppleID you used when you purchased iPhoto from the AppStore or set up your Mac with iPhoto preinstalled. The apps that you can reinstall are listed on the fourth tab of the AppStore. If iPhoto is not shown there, try to unhide it (Mac App Store: Hiding and unhiding purchases)

if you cannot make iPhoto visible in the Purchased items, iyou missed the window of opprtunity to update iPhoto to version 9.6.1. Then it will not be possible to update iPhoto. You can open your iPhoto Libraries in the new Photos for Mac application however. See this link on how your iPhoto libraries will be migrated: How Photos handles content and metadata from iPhoto and Aperture - Apple Support

iPhoto not responding El Capitan download

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.