Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

a problem backing up iPhoto

Okay, I’m going to abandon iPhoto soon, but we go back a long way and I’ve used it a lot this last year. So before making the big move, I’d like to make a remote back-up copy of the last year’s photos, and that’s the problem.

Ordinarily what I’d do is back-up the entire library by going Macintosh HD > Users > (me) > Pictures > iPhoto Library, but things aren't right. The last time I made a copy it was about 20 GB, but now when I hit iPhoto Library/i to get info, I’m told the contents is 2.2 MB which must be something else. All last year’s photos are there in iPhoto to see and access, so what's going on?

Please help . . . Fortes

iMac (Retina 4K, 21.5-inch, Late 2015), OS X El Capitan (10.11.4)

Posted on Apr 22, 2016 11:34 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 23, 2016 11:39 PM

Are you seeing all your photos in iPhoto, when you launch it?

Then check, if your iPhoto Library has been moved to a different folder.

Ctrl-click or right-click the word iPhoto in the title bar of the iPhoto window. It will show a drop down menu with the enclosing folder of your current iPhoto Library.

Click the enclosing folder in the drop down menu to open it in the Finder. Now use again ⌘I to check the size of the library. Is it different?

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

13 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 23, 2016 11:39 PM in response to fortes

Are you seeing all your photos in iPhoto, when you launch it?

Then check, if your iPhoto Library has been moved to a different folder.

Ctrl-click or right-click the word iPhoto in the title bar of the iPhoto window. It will show a drop down menu with the enclosing folder of your current iPhoto Library.

Click the enclosing folder in the drop down menu to open it in the Finder. Now use again ⌘I to check the size of the library. Is it different?

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

Apr 24, 2016 12:07 AM in response to léonie

Many thanks, Léonie, your answer is very helpful and if I could work this site right, I'd say so with a star.

I'd also send along a couple of screen shots showing the situation -- have spent ages trying, but again I don't have the necessary skills.

Please tell me how to include screenshots -- I'm using Ambrosia's Snapx to take them and have looked here for help without success.

Best . . . Fortes

Apr 24, 2016 12:13 AM in response to fortes

To include a screenshot click the camera icon in the toolbar of the editor window, when you reply. It will show you a file chooser window and let you upload image files from your Mac.

User uploaded file

The filename of the image file must not contain the letter "+", and do not make the files too large. Crop them in Preview for example.

Apr 24, 2016 1:26 PM in response to léonie

Thanks again -- I'd done as you indicate but it doesn't work, just lose the whole page, then must start again and the same result. Used to be (years ago) Discussions worked well and I enjoyed it a lot more -- a big pain that my screenshots in an email are OK but not here.

When I do as you say "Ctrl-click or right-click the word iPhoto in the title bar" I get a list of 4 places, iPhoto Library (with coloured icon), Applications, Macintosh HD and 1215iMac. The last two are my names. Going to the second, Applications, I get a small window saying "Photo Library - 30.3 GB" but the letters are grey (get the same 2.2MB answer at the other places).

But returning to the small window with the iPhoto Library icon, the red flower, with the greyed out 30.3, and dragging it to my desktop preliminary to saving the Library elsewhere, when I click on the desktop image to get info it says 2.2 MB!

The small "/Applications" window on the desktop shows "iPhoto Library" in a list with "iPhoto" above and "iPhoto Library Manager" below.

Do hope you can help, only sorry I can't send screenshots.

Apr 24, 2016 1:36 PM in response to fortes

When I do as you say "Ctrl-click or right-click the word iPhoto in the title bar" I get a list of 4 places, iPhoto Library (with coloured icon), Applications, Macintosh HD and 1215iMac.

That is the problem. Your iPhoto Library should not be in the Applications folder but in the Pictures folder.

The Applications folder is specially protected in the newer system versions and you cannot simply drag items from Applications.

But try to open your Applicatons folder ad to find the iPhoto Library there. Then try to drag it from the Applications folder to your external harddrive. If this will oly drag an aliias, hold down the options key while dragging the iPhoto Library to the external drive.

Apr 24, 2016 1:56 PM in response to fortes

A post script from me, Fortes -- an interesting thing:

What I want to do of course is drag my Library to the desktop preliminary to backing it up, but when I drag the large colored icon from the small /Applications window to the desktop, Comm/i says it's 2.2 MB. However, when I drag the small "iPhoto Library" title from the list to the left of the small window and then on the desktop check its contents, it says 30.3 GB -- sometimes! Do it again and I may get 2.2 MB.

So guess when I get lucky and it says 30.3 GB, then that's what it is and that's what I should save.

If so, credit please for a Correct Answer, Apple! (Not the first time I've answered my own question.)

If not, please advise.

Apr 24, 2016 8:59 PM in response to fortes

, but when I drag the large colored icon from the small /Applications window to the desktop, Comm/i says it's 2.2 MB.

When you drag the icon from the Applications folder you are probably just creating an alias on your desktop and that is about 2MB of size. is the icon on your Desktop showing an arrow in the lower left corner? Then it is an alias, referencing the library in the applications folder and not a copy of the library.

If you hold down the options key while dragging from applications to the Desktop you will get a copy instead of the alias.

Apr 25, 2016 12:28 AM in response to léonie

That the iPhoto Library should be in the Pictures folder I understand -- how it's got elsewhere I don't know. And I guess it's as you say, the 2 MB refers to an alias (know about aliases).

Next I did as you suggested, held down Options while dragging the iPhoto Library from /Applications to the Desktop and for a while that seemed to work -- a large file appeared on the Desktop with a blue download bar -- but then a message appears:

" The operation can't be completed because an item is being modified."

Apr 25, 2016 5:06 PM in response to léonie

Thanks for your patience -- I've now got the iPhoto Library, all 30 GB of it, on the Desktop.

User uploaded file

Last question, please: For whatever reason, the Library is in the wrong place here in Applications. Should I try to move it to its correct place in Pictures? Drag the icon from the Desktop with Option depressed? I'm planning to move all my iPhoto to Lightroom soon.

Thanks again, Léonie, this has all been very helpful -- even learnt to include screenshots! (TIFF was my problem.)

Now if only the Correct Answer would work -- guess one has to hit that first.

Apr 25, 2016 10:33 PM in response to fortes

For whatever reason, the Library is in the wrong place here in Applications. Should I try to move it to its correct place in Pictures?

Yes, move the iPhoto Library to the Pictures folder. Drag it with the options key held down. The Applications folder is specially protected by the system to prevent the installation of malware and that is making it difficult to maintain your documents and data in that folder. By default other applications will be looking for your iPhoto Library in the Pictures folder.

a problem backing up iPhoto

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.